Runner Up - Admins Awards www.desirulez.net

Default Azarenka to face Williams in US Open final

Follow us on Social Media

Victoria Azarenka defeated Maria Sharapova 3-6, 6-2, 6-4 on Friday at the US Open to reach her second Grand Slam final of the season with Serena Williams now lying in wait.

World number one Azarenka of Belarus has a chance to claim her second Grand Slam title after winning her first at the Australian Open over Sharapova in January.

Williams, who crushed French Open finalist Sara Errani 6-1, 6-2, has beaten Azarenka in nine of 10 meeting, with the European winning only in 2009. Williams is looking for a fourth New York title after winning her last in 2008.

The powerful American fourth seed rolled Errani in one hour, with the overpowered Italian saving a match point and passing to hold for 2-5 in the second set.

Williams, winner of 14 Grand Slam singles titles, advanced a game later after firing her ninth ace in a match where she struck 38 winners.

I definitely played better today, than I played in my other matches, said Williams. I did make some errors, but I was more consistent than I felt I was in the past. Azarenka trailed 1-5 in the opening set as Sharapova got off to a flying start on a sunny afternoon. The top seed was able to fight back to 2-5 before Sharapova lifted the 40-minute opener with an ace.
    ...being a human...