Runner Up - Admins Awards www.desirulez.net

Default At 83, Shammi Aunty frail, hard of hearing, but invincible

Follow us on Social Media

Failing health and difficulty in hearing hasn't taken away the spirit of veteran actress Shammi, popularly known as Shammi Aunty. At 83, she is still eager to work and feels being workless is like being worthless.
    The actress was recently seen in Bela Sehgal's "Shirin Farhad Ki Toh Nikal Padi" as Boman Irani's doting grandmother and is basking in the attention she is getting after the release of the film.
    "I want to continue acting. It's the only thing I know how to do. But movie offers had stopped coming for a while. I was doing television. But that too dwindled lately. So I was sitting idle," said Shammi.
    "At my age to be workless is to be worthless. Lekin main aaj tak kabhi kissi se kaam maangne nahin gayi (I never went to anyone to ask for work). Why should I do so now? I am happy getting what comes to me. And I am grateful to god that I still get work. It isn't a major role in 'Shirin Farhad...', but it was great fun shooting the film," she said.
    Shammi feels Sehgal's offer was godsent and she instantly grabbed it.
    "One day I got a call from Bela. She said she was doing a film about the Parsi community with Parsi actors, and if I would play Boman Irani's grandmother? She said, 'Please don't say no'. Why would I say no to such an offer? I greedily grabbed it," she recalls.
    The actress says she had a lot of fun shooting for the film, especially with Boman.
    ...being a human...