Runner Up - Admins Awards www.desirulez.net

Default Ashok Mehta was a pillar of strength: Aparna Sen

Follow us on Social Media

Filmmaker Aparna Sen, who had worked with cinematographer Ashok Mehta in "36 Chowringhee Lane", "Paroma" and "Sati", is devastated after learning about his demise, as she considered him her pillar of strength.
    "The last time I met him was at the Mumbai premiere of my film 'The Japanese Wife'. I can't believe he's gone! I didn't even know he was suffering from lung cancer. But then I am not really that close to Mumbai. I should have kept in touch," said Sen.
    "Losing Ashok is like losing a part of me. He gave visual meaning to thoughts that would have otherwise remained embedded only in my head. I feel a deep sense of loss at his going. I've lost a very dear friend," she added.
    When Sen started her career as a filmmaker with the exquisite "36 Chowringhee Lane" in 1981, she teamed up Mehta for the first time. They later went on to work on two of her most celebrated works "Paroma" and "Sati".
    Recalling their breathtaking collaboration, Sen said: "We did three films together '36 Chowringhee Lane', 'Paroma' and 'Sati'. I would have liked to do more films with him. But Bengali films are made on shoestring budgets. Of course, Ashok would have reduced his remuneration for me. He really loved me. But we still couldn't afford him. The whole process of getting a cameraman from Mumbai to Kolkata was finally prohibitive."
    ...being a human...