Administrator www.desirulez.net

Default Ekta Kapoor loves the "leap" business

Follow us on Social Media

Though Ekta Kapoor, the queen of television industry has got busy with the Bollywood world, she maintains that she is still in love with television. Here, she talks about the leaps in her television shows, difficulties that she faces as a producer and more.

On the news of her treating TV shows as her step child, she comments, “Does all this doesn’t seem like I have lot of movies to launch? But, TV is my first love and I am married to it. However, I am having a love affair with movies so that it takes more of my mind space. But, the true love will always remain true love.”

The last leap was seen in Balaji’s Parichay. However, leap has always been an integral part of Balaji shows. Hence, when we asked as to why Balaji has been promoting leaps in their shows she says, “It’s a story beat. The basics of any story abroad or elsewhere is that they take two or three months of drama and then a break so that the freshness remains. They also have daily soaps that take leaps. But here, that is not the case. It is only because I am a true Gemini, that I am inclined to freshness. I don’t find solace in spice of life. When a story takes a leap of nine years like it happened in Parichay, when you come to act II of the same drama, it tells you the other part of the story.”

She continues, “When it was Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi, it worked for me as it was a case between a mother-in-law and a daughter-in-law. Though it was a story, but the bigger story here was of the daughter-in-law becoming the mother-in-law.

In Kahani Ghar Ghar Kii, when the kids grew up, it was a story of being traditions vs getting strangled by family values. The characters worked for us. Lot of leaps that have not been of Balaji, have not worked because they always have taken the story forward rather than the concept.”

When asked if leap is the only solution to get freshness in a show, she observes, “No it isn’t as I told you earlier, there are great episodic dramas. Rajan Shahi’s Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai hasn’t taken a leap yet but it’s still working. But for me as a producer, I think of a story from the drama angle. I am influenced by the Shakespearean format of drama that always has an act II.”

Talking about her favourite leaps she avers, “Kyunki and Kkusum were the best for me. Though the leap in Kahani got a lot of TRPs, but conceptually it never worked as a story. That was a mistake that I did but the leap that I did in Kyuki helped me explore every track as well as the concept.”

A lot of producers face issues with their actors as they do not want to play older characters post the leap. Hence we asked Ekta if she has come across such issue on which she said, “Some actors do not want to grey their hair and be called parents at the age of 20. And I completely understand that it’s psychologically very challenging. But, then that’s the profession they chose. If one has chosen to be an actor he will have to act, no matter what the age bracket is. Luckily we have more actors than stars in TV.” After a little pause, she adds, “On TV, we made Sakshi (Tanwar) play a grandmother first but then she became more glamorous than before and she started off looking plum and went on to be an older women. But then she got back in denims and kurtas with Bade Acche Lagte Hai.”

What does the producer do when these actors still do not agree to play older roles post the leap? “The ones, who do not agree, do not have a long running relationship with me. The Ronits (Roy) and the Rams (Kapoor) have grown older with grace and I am still with them. These actors who cannot play older roles are not seen after one or two shows,” concludes Ekta.