Retired Staff

Default 'New York' is not a US bashing film, says John Abraham

Follow us on Social Media

Bollywood heartthrob John Abraham says that 'New York' is "not a jingoistic America bashing film" insisting that it is an objective representation of how the world and USA perceives a community post 9/11 attacks.

"It dwells on how the world and America looks at a certain community after the (9/11) attacks and vice versa. But it is not a jingoistic America bashing film. It shows both sides of the coin," John told PTI in an interview.

High on the success of Karan Johar's gay comedy, 'Dostana', John said that he is ready to venture into a different genre with "New York".

"It is a thriller and probably the best role I have done so far. I think it has been a tailor made role for me and I am proud of being a part of "New York." I was born to do this role. It is a very realistic film," the model-turned-actor said.

John plays Sameer, an Indian student in a US university whose life revolves around his two fellow batch mates, Umar (Neil Nitin Mukesh) and Maya (Katrina Kaif). However, their whole world changes after the 9/11 attacks.

This is John's second film with director Kabir Khan after "Kabul Express".

"Kabir's style of story telling is real, honest and linear. It is the same as 'Kabul Express'. But while 'Kabul Express' was a guerrilla film , 'New York' is a very commercial Yash Raj movie," John said.