Kal Ho Na Ho
    India & Cambodia

Default Rahman has taught me a lot: Tanvi

Follow us on Social Media

Life hasn’t been the same since January, says Tanvi Shah.

Hardly surprising, considering she was one of the vocalists on the Oscar-winning Jai Ho! The singer was even in the US at the time of the Oscars, but didn’t attend the ceremony. She wasn’t even in the country for the film’s promotions. “Singing isn’t the only thing I do. I also do jewellery and interior design; that aspect of my professional career took me to the US,” says Tanvi.

Tanvi’s family has been in the jewellery business for “the past couple of centuries”. “Once my mother got into the business, we started designing and working with diamonds and precious stones,” she explains, adding that her background as an arts student got her interested in interior design. Where does she get the time to squeeze everything in? “Twenty-four hours are not enough!” she laughs, “but life is short and if you don’t do all you want to now, when are you going to?”

This philosophy seems to have paid off. When Tanvi was in the US, she was invited to lend her voice to the Snoop Doggy Dogg track, Snoop Dogg Millionaire. “They hunted me down,” recalls Tanvi, “I went into the studio and the next thing I knew, I was singing with Snoop Dogg. And as they say, ‘It’s all dope, ya’ll!’”

But the person she really enjoys working with is AR Rahman, evident from the number of films she’s done with him already — Yuva, Sillunu Oru Kaadhal, Sivaji, Jaane Tu... Ya Jaane Na, Delhi-6, and Slumdog Millionaire. “I learn something different every time I walk into the studio to work with Rahman sir. I would never have thought that I could sing that way or modulate my voice that way,” explains Tanvi. She isn’t kidding when she says that Rahman’s got her to push the boundaries of her voice. “For Pappu Can’t Dance, I sang for three characters; for Jillendru Oru Kaadhal, it was five. I’ve been lucky because I sound different in every song I’ve sung for him,” she says.

Tanvi’s got some more singing done too. “I’ve done a song for Muthirai with Yuvan Shankar Raja. I’ve done other work, but I’m superstitious when it comes to talking about it. You never know how the song will change and who’ll sing over your voice. I just work without any expectations. Rahman sir has taught me that if you reach for the sky, you’ll fall on the roof,” she says.