Retired Staff

Default ASUS Rampage IV Formula (BF 3 Edition) Review

Follow us on Social Media

With the launch of the latest X79 chipset from Intel, most manufacturers are bringing out their high-end socket LGA2011 motherboards. Today I’ll be looking at the ASUS Rampage IV Formula, their high-end X79 Republic of Gamers motherboard for the mainstream market.

Our test unit was actually the Battlefield 3 Edition of the Rampage IV Formula, making for a rather striking box. Apart from the motherboard, accessories and manuals, you get an Origin code printed on a card to get your copy of Battlefield 3; there’s no DVD of the game itself.

Given that the Rampage IV Formula is a standard ATX sized motherboard, I was pleasantly surprised to find out that it has four PCIe 3.0 slots for 4-way SLI or CFX. While the board does come with two-card SLI and CFX cables, it also comes with a 3-way SLI bridge. Sadly, there’s no 4-way SLI bridge, nor a 3-way or 4-way CFX bridge.

Another strange thing is that the Rampage IV Formula has 4 DIMM slots, but only support a maximum of 32GB RAM, albeit speeds supported are up to 2700MHz.

Moving along to features that add value to the motherboard, we have the SupremeFX III sound card, which is basically 8-channel HD audio amplified with some really high-end capacitors and shielding, resulting in one of the best sound cards pre-built into a motherboard. Industry standards like THX TruStudio PRO, EAX Advanced HD 5.0 and Creative ALchemy are all supported by this bad boy. Basically all you need are a good pair of headphones and you’re set for an incredible audio experience.

A cool new feature that the Rampage IV Formula shares with the Rampage IV Extreme is the X-Socket adapter. It’s literally a clamp you replace on the Rampage IV Formula that will allow you to plug in your existing (if you have one) Socket 1366 heatsink.

As with most of their high-end motherboards, the Rampage IV Formula comes with the Extreme Engine Digi+ II which efficiently regulates voltage on all the components plugged into the motherboard. Obviously the VRM allows for detailed frequency adjustments for the RAM and CPU through the BIOS. The ROG Connect is another cool feature whereby you can connect the Rampage IV Formula to another computer via a USB cable and control the overclocking features in real-time on the other machine.

CPU Intel® Socket 2011 for 2nd Generation Core™ i7 Processors
    Supports Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2
    * Refer to for CPU support list
    Chipset Intel® X79
    Memory 4 x DIMM, Max. 32GB, DDR3 2400(O.C.)/2200(O.C.)/2133(O.C.)/2000(O.C.)/1800(O.C.)/1600/1333/1066 MHz Memory
    Quad Channel Memory Architecture
    Supports Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (XMP)
    * Hyper DIMM support is subject to the physical characteristics of individual CPUs.
    Multi-GPU Support Supports NVIDIA® 4-Way SLI™ Technology *1
    Supports AMD 4-Way CrossFireX Technology
    Expansion Slots 4 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 (x16; x16/x16; x16/x8/x16 and x16/x8/x8/x8, red) *2
    2 x PCIe 2.0 x1
    Storage Intel® X79 chipset :
    2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), red
    4 x SATA 3Gb/s port(s), black
    Support Raid 0, 1, 5, 10
    ASMedia® ASM1061 controller :
    2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), red
    2 x Power eSATA 6Gb/s port(s), red
    LAN Intel®, 1 x Gigabit LAN Controller(s)
    Audio SupremeFX III built-in 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC
    - Output Signal-to-Noise Ratio (A-Weighted): 110 dB
    - Output THD+N at 1kHz: 95 dB
    - Supports : Jack-detection, Multi-streaming, Front Panel Jack-retasking
    Audio Feature :
    - SupremeFX Shielding™ Technology
    - 1500 uF Audio Power Capacitor
    - Gold-plated jacks
    - X-Fi® Xtreme Fidelity™
    - EAX® Advanced™ HD 5.0
    - THX® TruStudio PRO™
    - Creative ALchemy
    - Blu-ray audio layer Content Protection
    - Optical S/PDIF out port(s) at back panel
    USB Ports ASMedia® USB 3.0 controller :
    6 x USB 3.0 port(s) (4 at back panel, blue, 2 at mid-board)
    Intel® X79 chipset :
    12 x USB 2.0 port(s) (6 at back panel, black+white, 6 at mid-board)
    Overclocking Features ROG Connect :
    - RC Diagram
    - RC Remote
    - RC Poster
    - GPU TweakIt
    Extreme Engine Digi+ II :
    - 8 -phase CPU power design
    - 3 -phase VCCSA power design
    - 2 + 2 phase DRAM power design
    ROG Extreme OC kit :
    - Slow Mode
    - LN2 Mode
    - PCIe x16 Lane Switch
    - Q Reset
    - EZ Plug
    UEFI BIOS features :
    - ROG BIOS Print
    - ROG BIOS Wallpaper
    - GPU.DIMM Post
    Extreme Tweaker
    Loadline Calibration
    USB BIOS Flashback
    Overclocking Protection :
    - COP EX (Component Overheat Protection – EX)
    - Voltiminder LED II
    - ASUS C.P.R.(CPU Parameter Recall)
    Special Features ASUS EPU :
    - EPU
    CPU Level Up
    ASUS Exclusive Features :
    - MemOK!
    - Onboard Button : Power/Reset/Clr CMOS (at back IO)
    ASUS Quiet Thermal Solution :
    - ASUS Fan Xpert
    - ASUS O.C. Profile
    - ASUS CrashFree BIOS 3
    - ASUS EZ Flash 2
    - ASUS MyLogo 2
    ASUS Q-Design :
    - ASUS Q-LED (CPU, DRAM, VGA, Boot Device LED)
    - ASUS Q-Slot
    - ASUS Q-Connector
    Back I/O Ports 1 x PS/2 keyboard/mouse combo port(s)
    2 x eSATA 6Gb/s
    1 x LAN (RJ45) port(s)
    4 x USB 3.0
    6 x USB 2.0 (one port can be switched to ROG Connect)
    1 x Optical S/PDIF out
    6 x Audio jack(s)
    1 x Clear CMOS button(s)
    1 x ROG Connect On/ Off switch(es)
    Internal I/O Ports 1 x USB 3.0 connector(s) support(s) additional 2 USB 3.0 port(s)
    3 x USB 2.0 connector(s) support(s) additional 6 USB 2.0 port(s)
    4 x SATA 6Gb/s connector(s)
    4 x SATA 3Gb/s connector(s)
    2 x CPU Fan connector(s)
    3 x Chassis Fan connector(s)
    3 x Optional Fan connector(s)
    1 x S/PDIF out header(s)
    1 x 24-pin EATX Power connector(s)
    1 x 8-pin ATX 12V Power connector(s)
    1 x Front panel audio connector(s) (AAFP)
    1 x System panel(s)
    1 x Slow Mode switch(es)
    8 x ProbeIt Measurement Points
    3 x Thermal sensor connector(s)
    1 x EZ Plug connector(s) (4-pin Molex power connector)
    1 x Power-on button(s)
    1 x Reset button(s)
    1 x LN2 Mode switch(es)
    1 x Go Button(s)
    Accessories User’s manual
    I/O Shield
    4 x SATA 3Gb/s cable(s)
    4 x SATA 6Gb/s cable(s)
    1 x 3-Way SLI bridge(s)
    1 x SLI bridge(s)
    1 x CrossFire cable(s)
    1 x Q-connector(s) (2 in 1)
    1 x ROG Connect cable(s)
    1 x ROG theme label(s)
    1 x 12 in 1 ROG Cable Label(s)
    1 x X-Socket pad(s)
    1 x ROG Door Hanger(s)
    1 x BATTLEFIELD 3 Key Code(s)
    1 x BATTLEFIELD 3 Lanyard(s)
    BIOS 2 x 64Mb UEFI AMI BIOSs, PnP, DMI2.0, WfM2.0, SM BIOS 2.5, ACPI2.0a Multi-Language BIOS
    Manageability WfM2.0, DMI2.0, WOL by PME, WOR by PME, PXE
    Support Disc Drivers
    Sound Blaster® X-Fi 2 Utility
    Kaspersky® Anti-Virus
    DAEMON Tools Pro Standard
    Mem TweakIt
    ASUS WebStorage
    ASUS Utilities
    Form Factor ATX Form Factor
    12 inch x 9.6 inch ( 30.5 cm x 24.4 cm )
    Note *1: The 4-Way SLI™ bridge is purchased separately.
    *2: This motherboard is ready to support PCIe 3.0 SPEC. Functions will be available when using PCIe 3.0-compliant devices. Please refer to ASUSTeK Computer Inc. for updated details.

For testing the ASUS Rampage IV Formula, I have used the Intel Core i7-3960X with Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 heatsink, G.Skill 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM, Zotac GTX 580 AMP! Edition GPU, Kingston HyperX 240GB SSD and Cooler Master 1200W Silent Pro Gold PSU.

For comparisons I have used the ASUS P9X79 Deluxe motherboard and the MSI X79A-GD65 motherboards. A little disclaimer before you look at the graphs below: even though in the BIOS the BCLK is rated at 100MHz, using CPUz I could see that it was actually 100.30MHz. I didn’t bring it down because the idea of this review is to show you out-of-the-box experience (with updated BIOS).

As you can see, the Rampage IV Formula is the fastest X79 motherboard we have tested to date, running very cool and quiet.

By increasing the CPU multiplier to 47 and the voltage to 1.45v I was able to successfully overclock the i7-3960X to 4.7GHz (keeping BCLK and CPU Ratio to standard). The results were as expected.

As you can see, at 4.7GHz the results are very similar, and none of the motherboards has an advantage over the other. The updated UEFI BIOS made the whole process very easy, with some pretty cool pre-loaded overclocking profiles already. One of them booted up easily at 4.4GHz, while a more extreme profile of 4.9GHz didn’t even boot up the machine. Still, my custom overclock of 4.7GHz ran without any issues whatsoever, and there was never any crash throughout the overclocked benchmarking process.

All in all the ASUS Rampage IV Formula is an extremely capable X79 motherboard, and as solid an option as any when it comes to high-end performance. I can’t help but feel, though, that part of the price increase is due to the ASUS brand name. Of course, that’s not to say that the 3 years ‘ASUS Replacement Golden Warranty’ doesn’t add value as well.

So if you’re in the market for a serious X79 based gaming rig, the Rampage IV Formula is an easy contender for your money.

i think its a super computer