Results 1 to 1 of 1
Thread: Koshari Recipe
01-02-2012, 10:21 PM #1
Onions - 2, large, chopped
Garlic - 4 cloves, minced
Vegetable Oil - 3/4 cup
Long-grained Rice - 3/4 cup
Red Pepper - 1/4 tsp
Cumin - 1 tsp
Tomato Sauce - 1 to 1 1/2 cups
Brown Lentils - 3/4 cup
Water - 4 cups
Macaroni - 1 cup
White Vinegar - 1/2 cup
Chickpeas - 1 cup, boiled
1. In a large saucepan, put the lentils in water and bring it to boil.
2. Simmer over medium heat for 25 minutes then drain.
3. Add new water to the lentils and then add the rice.
4. Continue to simmer for 20 minutes more or until rice gets tender.
5. Fill a separate saucepan with water, add a little bit of salt and bring to boil.
6. Add the macaroni to the boiling water and cook until it gets tender, then drain.
7. In a deep frying pan, heat some of the vegetable oil.
8. Then add the garlic and simmer until its colour starts fading.
9. Add the vinegar to garlic and bring it to boil.
10. After the vinegar boils with garlic, add the tomato sauce and some salt and pepper to taste, then add the cumin.
11. Bring the mix to boil on high heat, then lower heat after it boils.
12. Heat the rest of the oil in another pan.
13. Then add the chopped onions and stir until it is brownish.
14. Take it out of the oil and leave it aside.
15. Take a little bit of the oil used with the onions and pour it on the macaroni and stir it until the macaroni gets the onionsʼ flavour.
16. To serve this dish, you can put it in layers or just mix it all together.
17. If you would like to do it in layers, first put a layer of rice and lentils. Then a layer of macaroni followed by a layer of the special sauce and then a layer of the boiled chickpeas. Top this all up by a layer of fried onions.