Kal Ho Na Ho
    India & Cambodia

Default Irrfan was scared of kiss: Divya Dutta

Follow us on Social Media

Divya Dutta, who impressed much as the straight-forward Jalebi in Delhi-6, seems to be heating up the B-wood circuit.

She’s done a steamy lip-lock with Irrfan Khan in Hissss; has got intimate in bed with Kitu Gidwani for a lesbian scene in the film Monica; and has just finished shooting a hot item number in Rajasthan’s hot sands for Haat, The Weekly Bazaar. BT puts her in the ‘hot seat’.

On her kiss with Irrfan:

“I was unnerved,” confides Divya Dutta, “It was the first time I was doing an on-screen kiss. But what was heartening was that Irrfan was more unnerved than I was,” she laughs, “That made it easier. Irrfan is a brilliant actor, but it was while doing this scene that I realised his level of maturity — the way he laughed in between it all, and made the emotional sequence so respecting. We play a couple who is in an emotional mess, and is trying hard to bring back ‘moments’. Ours is touted to be the longest kiss in the history of Indian cinema. I really don’t know how true that is...” informs Divya. How many minutes? “About two-three? I don’t know, wasn’t counting!” she says.

On her lesbian act:

“I was of course inhibited and it was of course difficult! The film Monica is about the journey of a woman, she meets another woman (played by Kitu Gidwani) who is going through hardships as well. So both are vulnerable, and both ‘use’ each other. When I was told that I’d have to do a lesbian scene, I didn’t know what to think; but I approached it very professionally. I mentally prepared myself. I was just an actor playing a character. I know a lot of actresses had refused to do the film; Kitu is a mature actress. We discussed the scene, tried to make it easy for each other. It’s shot very aesthetically,” assures the actress. Isn’t she scared of the controversies that may arise? She says, “I’m a respectable actor who takes my work seriously. People take me seriously. Audiences are mature. And if someone has a problem with something, I really don’t care.”

On her item number:

“I finally got to do a seeti-maar item number. I felt a little odd wearing those tiny clothes and doing those thumkas. It’s a folk song - Dhar dham chak mach gayi composed by Ali Ghani. We had an authentic Rajasthani audience. And the funniest part is that the following day a large number of locals landed up on the sets asking “Show kidhar hai?” laughed Divya.