Retired Staff

Default Gorkhaland at crossroads, in upcoming film and history

Follow us on Social Media

`Chowrasta, Crossroads of Love' is film director Anjan Dutta's way of bringing the raging Gorkhaland issue, a subject he believes has not been given the attention it requires, on national stage.

"Darjeeling, one of the most beautiful hill stations in the country, is undergoing a crisis. Through the film I want to pay a tribute to Darjeeling, the place where I grew up, and bring the Gorkhaland issue to national audiences," Dutta told PTI here.

On whether he supports the decades-old demand for a separate state of Gorkhaland to be formed out of West Bengal, Dutta said, "I think whatever is happening (agitation for statehood) is justified. Whatever is happening had to happen.

But I don't know if Gorkhaland is the solution."

He said in the film four stories keep interacting with each other, like the Chowrasta - a place where four roads meet - the heart of Darjeeling, the nerve centre of statehood agitation spearheaded by the Gorkha Janmukti Morcha (GJM).

`Chowrasta, Crossroads of Love', that releases on April 17, is about a terrorist on the run, an aging Bollywood star who meets her ex-husband, an eloped couple who come for a honeymoon to the hill station only to realise that their marriage was mismatched, and a tea planter.

Atul Kulkarni as the terrorist, Victor Banerjee as the tea planter and Roopa Ganguly as the aging actress are among the cast of the film which has been scripted seven years ago.

"The film portrays the romance of Darjeeling, the violence of the North-East, the nostalgia," Dutta said.

On why he chose to tell the story using four situations, he said, "The film is about Darjeeling. To tell a story about a place you need multi-story plot."

To a question on the cast of the film, Dutta said, "I believe in characters. The audience comes to watch a good story and a good story comes with well-written, believable characters. You need actors not stars."

"I always chose actors with the script in mind. The actors I chose are generally people I want to work with or fit the role. When I wrote the script, I wrote it with Victor as the tea planter in mind."

"I always wanted to work with Atul Kulkarni," Dutta said, adding when he offered him the role of a terrorist from the North-East he agreed and got on board.

Kal Ho Na Ho
    India & Cambodia

Thank you