Default 'Our breed has earned a bad name thanks to these cats'

Follow us on Social Media

Chitrangada Singh first mainstream 'masala' movie, Desi Boyz, opens in theatres today and the actor is all-excited about her glam avatar that was unveiled just days before the release. "That was the plan," she points out, shrugging off persistent rumours of co-star Deepika Padukone feeling insecure and thereby trying to upstage her.

"That's so untrue because even though we have just two days of work together in the film, we've been promoting the film together." She points out that Deepika is an established commercial cinema actor while she's just making her debut so all talks of cat fights between them are absurd. "Whenever there are two girls working together, there are supposed to be cat fights. Our breed has earned a bad name thanks to these cats," she laughs.

For Chitrangada the silliest of gossip was of them fighting over a dress on the sets. She points out that even if they coveted a costume, which they did not, t would be foolish to play a tug-of-war. "I'm more well-endowed than her, so I'd never fit into a dress designed for Deepika," she reasons. "Besides, if she really liked a dress, she could afford to buy 20 of them and me at least a couple."

Even before she made a belated appearance in the Desi Boyz promos, Chitrangada had eyebrows rising with heer new look in a couple of commercials. She admits that the timing of these ads was coincidental. "The coconut oil ad was to release earlier but was pushed forward. Everything seems to be falling into place pretty nicely," she smiles, adding that having done commercials with the Khans, Saif and Shah Rukh, she's now hoping to get a chance to romance them on screen. "Everyone said we looked good together."

Having done only serious cinema for so long, The Smita Patel lookalike admits she was wary about playing the typical heroine in a rom-com: "But I discovered that it felt good to laugh and today I'm happy I took the step. The film may be called Desi Boyz but there's nothing 'desi' about my role or look."