Retired Staff

Default Nana: 'This Mumbai is not mine'

Follow us on Social Media

Nana Patekar calls the mahurat shot of Krantiveer

'This Mumbai is not mine'

When Nana Patekar and Dimple Kapadia starred in Mehul Kumar's Krantiveer way back in 1994, little did they know the film would have a sequel 15 years later.
    Mehul Kumar dons the director's hat yet again for the sequel, starring newcomers Sameer Aftab and Jahan Bloch.

Nana Patekar and Dimple arrived for the film's muhurat last week at Mumbai's J W Marriott, along with guests Amitabh Bachchan, Ranjit, Kabir Bedi, Kelly Dorgi, Farida Jalal and Aman Verma.

Dimple Kapadia and Mehul Kumar

'The new generation actors are wonderful'

The sequel hopes to be as powerful as the original, and is rumoured to be based on the recent Mumbai attacks.
    Patekar will not put in a cameo in the new film, even though he gets nostalgic about his own Krantiveer days. "Those days are gone when I did the film," he says. "The sequel will have new actors and I hope they -- Sameer Aftab and Jahan Bloch -- do a good job. I hope people start associating the film with them henceforth. The new cast will make sure that people won't miss me. The new generation actors are wonderful. All the debutants are doing an awesome job."

Mehul Kumar and Amitabh Bachchan

'The intention behind making Krantiveer in 1994 was not money'

The intention behind making Krantiveer in 1994 was not money," Patekar says. "The situation then -- the communal riots -- demanded a film like this. The sad part is that the situation hasn't changed today. So another film like Krantiveer is being made again.
    "I didn't want to see the situation repeat itself at that point in time. The moment we start blaming each other, violence begins. We have better things to think about like the economy and population. But nobody pays attention to that," he says.

Jahan Bloch and Sameer Aftab

'I don't even know who are contesting the elections'

Now that the elections are round the corner, Patekar hopes to pass on a social message. "The biggest mistake anyone can do is not vote. If you don't vote, you don't have the right to complain either," he says.
    Patekar, himself, does not have any political favourites. "I don't even know who are contesting the elections," he says, ironically.

Mehul Kumar, Amitabh Bachchan, Ranjit and Nana Patekar

'There was a time when I wanted to play Bhagat Singh'

Patekar's latest film Ek: The Power of One released last Friday to a poor response. "After the film's dubbing is done, I don't think about the film."
    His other film, Horn Ok Please, is long-delayed and does not have a release date yet. Patekar blames it on recession. "A lot of money has gone into its making and that needs to be recovered," he says.

After all these years, Patekar still has a dream role. "There was a time when I wanted to play Bhagat Singh. But unfortunately, I cannot do that now. I've become too old for it. But I would have loved to be a part of Neeraj Pandey's A Wednesday."

When not acting, Patekar loves farming in Pune. "I do not belong to Mumbai," he says. "I am scared of the crowds. The Mumbai I know in 1985 and 1986 is different from what it has become. This Mumbai is not mine."

wow thanks for sharing