Runner Up - Admins Awards www.desirulez.net

T

Default Vinod Kambli's shocking claim; 1996 World Cup semi-final was fixed

Follow us on Social Media

Former Indian cricketer Vinod Kambli has alleged that the historic 1996 World Cup semi-final between India and Sri Lanka, which the former lost badly, was fixed. In a TV show, Kambli said he was suspicious of the then captain Md Azharuddin’s decision to field first even though batting was the norm after winning the toss in those days.

Batting first Sri Lanka had set a target of 252 for India. In reply, India too started badly as Chamindas Vaas got rid of Navjot Sidhu at the score of 8. However, with genius Sachin Tendulkar in full command at the crease, India hoped for a comfortable entry into the final.

However, Sanath Jayasuriya bowled a magical spell and very India were reduced from 98/1 to 120/8 that made Kolkata fans go berserk with anger and disappointment. The fanatic cricket buffs set the chairs of Eden Gardens on fire and hurled bottles at the Lankan players in protest against India’s collapse, forcing match referee Clive Llyod to award the match to the visitors.

It was one of India’s most heart-breaking defeats in ODI history with cricket pundits attributing the loss to Indian skipper Azharuddin for inviting Sri Lanka to bat.

Azharuddin and Ajay Jadeja, both serving ban by the ICC for match fixing, were out for duck in the match.

Very few can forget the tears of Kambli after Sri Lanka was declared the winner. “I cried because I thought I was robbed of a chance to do it for my country. The entire team hugged me. Most of us were crying,” he recalled.
    ...being a human...

T

Default Azhar says something wrong with Kambli's brain!

Former India captain and Congress MP from Moradabad, Mohammad Azharuddin today rubbished former India cricketer Vinod Kambli's claims that the 1996 world cup semi-final match against Sri Lanka was fixed.

Vinod Kambli, who had walked off the Eden Gardens pitch on March 13, 1996 in tears after the match was awarded to Sri Lanka following crowd trouble, raised suspicion over India's dramatic collapse.

Kambli alleged that the decision to field first was suspicious as it had been decided in the team meeting that India would bat first if they won the toss. But Ajit Wadekar, who was the team manager then has refuted these claims.

Speaking to a news channel Azhar joined the chorus against Kambli. Azhar said that Kambli was making a fool of
    himself and that his comments were disrespectful towards the entire team.

Azhar said that Kambli should be thankful to him for the chances he got to pklay for the country. A visibly miffed Azhar said, "there's something wrong with Kambli's brain."
    ...being a human...

T

Default Ganguly says it's high time Azhar cleared his name

Mohammad Azharuddin should take a strong stance following the claims made against him by Vinod Kambli and put an end to all the "whispers" surrounding the former skipper's name, says Sourav Ganguly.

"Azhar should take a stance. It's upto him how he deals with it. But the time has come for Azhar to clear his name. There are too many whispers going around," Ganguly said when asked about Kambli's claims that the 1996 World Cup semifinal between India and Sri Lanka could have been fixed.

Ganguly also rubbished Kambli's claim that the match at the Eden Gardens ruined his career.

"His (Kambli's) claim that his career was finished because of that game is rubbish. How can that game ruin his career, he was not out then," Ganguly told Headlines Today.

Ganguly said the decision to field could have been the result of Sri Lanka's earlier league match against India at the Feroz Shah Kotla here, where Sri Lanka chased down 270-odd runs with ease.

"I can sympathise with Azhar. I can understand the reasons of putting Sri Lanka in. If you remember Srio Lanka chased 270-odd runs in Delhi in an earlier match."

Ganguly further hoped that Kambli has his facts right. Meanwhile 1983 World Cup winning skipper Kapil Dev asked if Kabmli was sleeping all these 15 years.

The media should not give credence to all this statements, Kapil felt.

Kambli, a former Indian cricketer who has often been embroiled in controversies both on and off the field, on Thursday raised suspicion on the 1996 World Cup semifinal between India and Sri Lanka and said he found "something amiss" in the game.
    ...being a human...

T

Default Kambli's allegations not worth probing, says BCCI

Sports Minister Ajay Maken might have called for a probe into the match-fixing claims made by Vinod Kambli but a defiant BCCI today said it would not give any importance to the former cricketer's allegations.

Kambli has created quite a flutter by claiming that something was "amiss" in India's loss in the 1996 World Cup semifinal against Sri Lanka and Maken said the claim should be investigated by the BCCI or else his Ministry might order a probe.

But, senior Cricket Board official Rajiv Shukla said Kambli's claims are not worth investigating."We are not giving any importance to the claims made by Kambli. If a person wakes up after 15 years and makes some allegations, that is not worth taking note of," Shukla told reporters here.

Shukla, the chairman of the IPL Governing Council, said the BCCI has acted tough on corrupt cricketers and has never forgiven such players. "Many of the Boards have forgiven players after they were found to be involved in corrupt practices but BCCI has never forgiven such players," he said.

Kambli, who has often been embroiled in controversies both on and off the field, yesterday raised suspicion on the match. "I will never forget the 1996 match because my career ended after this and I was dropped from the team. I was stunned by India's decision to field," Kambli had said.

Reacting to Kambli's claims, Maken said if the allegations were true, it would be extremely unfortunate for the game of cricket.
    ...being a human...