= Heaven =

Default Photoshop Tutorial - Creating a Basic Forum Signature

Follow us on Social Media

I know that many people would love to have a signature of their own but lack the basic knowledge of Photoshop to create them. I know I did. Here is a very basic one that you can try. I made this especially for beginners so more experienced users may find the steps rather boring. Hope you enjoy it.

Software Used: Adobe Photoshop
    Difficulty : Easy
    Estimated Time: 5-10 minutes depending on skill.
    Step 1:

-Click File --> New and you should see a box pop up that looks like below. Edit the settings to look exactly like the picture:

Step 2

- Open the picture you want to place on your signature. Then resize it to fit the dimensions of your signature which is 400x120 pixels. Most of the time, I just adjust the height and the width will follow suit. The image below should show you where you can change the image size.

Step 3

- Press "Ctrl-A" to select the picture. The go to Edit --> Copy. Then click the original file you opened and Edit --> Paste it there. The picture below should show you the end result:

Step 4

- Create a New Layer. A layer is another section above or below the current visible section that you can work on. The Pic below shows you an easy way to create it. Cleck on the button I circled to create a new Layer. The box above it is where all the layers of the file you are creating is stored.

Step 5

- Click the Eyedropper Tool. This tool helps you select a certain color on the picture so you don't have to manually find it in the color pallatte. The pic below shows you which is the Eyedropper Tool.

- Click on a specific color on the picture you pasted on the signature file that you want to use as your background color. I selected the blue on the upper right hand corner. When you click on it, you will notice that your color selection will change from black and white to the color you selected (in this case, blue) and white. I have circled the section where you will see this change. NOTE: You can also change the color to a different color by clicking on the circled section to launch the Color Pallette.

Step 7

- Now click the Paintbucket Tool (shown in the Pic below). NOTE: Sometimes this button might be a gradient button. In this case, Right-Click it and select the Paintbucket Tool.

Step 8

- Click on the whitespace of your file to color its background with the color you selected earlier. You should see something looking like this now.

What has happened here is that you have colored a layer above the layer that you pasted the picture.

Step 9

- We have to change the layer order to bring the original picture back on top of the background. In the Layer Box which is on your right, click Layer 1 (or the Layer with the picture you pasted) and drag it above Layer 2 or your background layer. The process should look like below.

Step 10

- When you're done with the above process, you should have something looking like this.

Step 11

- Now Right Click on the circled button to select the Smudge Tool. The Smudge Tool is a tool that is used to drag a certain color in the motion that follows the mouse.

Step 12

- Once you have selected the smudge tool, click-drag-release the left mouse button on the boxed section of the picture. Keep doing this. The pic below is an example of how it will look.

Keep doing this until you get a satisfactory design.

Step 13

- Now to make the text, select the Text Tool (shown in the pic).

Step 14

- Select a satisfactory font and change the color to any color you like. I chose white. The picture will show you the button you have to click to change the color.

Then click anywhere on the picture where you want to place the text. and type it in. You should be done in this case.

Step 15 (optional)

- NOTE: I did not use any of this in this signature BUT I do use it in others, so I will not cover this section in-depth. Select the Layer Style --> Blending Options to add some effects to the text. Layer Style Button is shown in the pic.

Step 16

- You should see a box pop-up like below. Select the effects you want to add some spice to your text. The one I usually use are the Shadow, Glow, Stroke and Bevel and Emboss options.