Retired Staff

Default I and Abhishek do talk babies: Aishwarya

Follow us on Social Media

Rajeev Masand / CNN-IBN
    Published on Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 03:44, Updated on Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 11:04 in Entertainment section
    Aishwarya Rai, Bollywood , Rajeev Masand

Rajeev Masand: We saw you most recently in Pink Panther and I have to say you looked like you had great fun making that movie. We will not give away much about the film but what a surprise that role turned out to be!

Aishwarya Rai: I am glad you have that to say about the film. We had a blast doing that film. I have grown up watching Pink Panther. So people who know about it, know the genre. One knows what a joyride these films are. I have always regarded Pink Panther as innocent comedy. I put it in the Laurel and Hardy kind of humour for this time and age. It was a wonderful team and we had no-brainer of a role for all of us. And that is the spirit with which we did it. It was not a major acting piece, I mean it wasn't like I had to think how to get into the skin of the character.

Rajeev Masand: You play a character called Sonia Solandres. Now her nationality is a little ambigous. What I want to ask you is that Hollywood is finding roles for Indian actors but is there space for Indian characters? Is that going to take a little while then?

Aishwarya Rai: Interestingly, the English films that I have done - Bride and Prejudice and Mistress of Spices have had a very obvious Indian background so that is different. When it comes to Provoked, it is again the story of an Indian origin. In The Last Legion they had written in the character because Meera does not exist in the novel. So they had created this character and then brought in this whole Indian tilt. So slowly they brought in the fact that Meera's forefathers may have been from Kerala. So I was glad that there is an Indian origin in that role too. In Pink Panther they just left it ambigous so I was like is Sonia Solandres from Goa? Or she is from Europe or she is meant to be Spanish?

This time we went to Madrid and there they have taken it for granted that she is from Spain. But the makers said it wasn't necessary to know (her nationality). But I wanted to know because I had to know if I had to work with the accent coach. They were fine with my accent but there was no specific stress on it. They said we would like to leave her mysterious. In fact even in the film my character just drops into the film. So the idea was that no one knows where she has come from. She is just an author and we leave her like that.

Rajeev Masand: Frieda Pinto is perhaps the only other actress who has had this much buzz around her in the West. Do you think it is easier for her because she is not a star in this country? One has to pretty much start from the scratch there so someone like you would really have to think about whether you want to disappoint a huge population that doesn't want to see you playing a bit role in an American film.

Aishwarya Rai: I have already been down that road and there have been such discussions. With Pink Panther's first promo there were already episodes dedicated to how I am barely a blink-and-a-miss in the promo. So I was like no one said these things when I did Khaki or Mohabbatein. So why are you suddenly doing that here? I have already been facing this. From my first press conference for Bride and Prejudice I was told "So, she went there and now what? She is coming back!" But I was like I never went and that is what I have been saying since the beginning.

I am very glad for Freida. She has been part of a film that has brought immense pride to the entire team and to a lot of our talent. I think we all should not get into these discussions. We really need to develop this healthy attitude of just patting people on the back.

Kal Ho Na Ho
    India & Cambodia

Thank you suhaani