Default Villas-Boas not scared to drop Torres

Follow us on Social Media

Chelsea manager Andre Villas-Boas has warned 50 million Fernando Torres that he will have no problem dropping the striker if his lack of goals begins to "compromise" the team.

Villas-Boas is hoping to guide World Cup winner Torres back to his best form but the Spaniard has scored just one goal in 21 games since leaving Liverpool to move to Stamford Bridge in January.

The 27-year-old, who set a new record for the most prolific foreign goalscorer ever in a debut season when he arrived in the Premier League from Atletico Madrid in 2007, didn't even make the bench for Spain's Euro 2012 qualifier against Liechtenstein this week, raising serious questions about his lack of form.

Asked about Torres' lack of goals, Villas-Boas said: "It can never compromise the objectives of the team and the things you want to achieve. It's not just about scoring goals, it's about creating opportunities and he's been doing that. The moment when it compromises the running of the team I think it has to come to an end.

"I have no problem dropping players," the Chelsea boss added.

However, Villas-Boas, who said on Thursday he would do everything he could to get Blues striker Didier Drogba ready to face Manchester United next weekend, insisted that Torres could still get back to his best.

"You didn't lose your talent because you went 21 games scoring just one goal," Villas-Boas said. "The talent is there. It's a question of regaining that confidence.

"Regaining that confidence comes with training and time and finding the back of the net. You just have to persist. It's not just about scoring goals, it's about creating opportunities and I think he's been doing that."