Runner Up - Admins Awards

Default Meet Ajay Devgn's love in Singham

Follow us on Social Media

After making her mark in the South Indian film industry, Kajal Agarwal gets her Bollywood break with Rohit Shetty's Singham opposite Ajay Devgn.

Kajal has earlier done a small role in a Hindi film Kyun! Ho Gaya Na, where she played Aishwarya Rai's friend but she prefers to call Singham her debut Bollywood film.

She talks to Patcy N about Singham, and how a Mumbai girl made it big in the South film industry.

What made you come back to Bollywood when you were doing so well down South?

I have not come back to Bollywood, I have just started my Hindi career in Bollywood. I had got offers to act in Hindi films earlier too, but nothing worked out because I did not have dates -- I was doing five movies a year.

Rohit approached me for Singham. I was to work with the dream team of Ajay and Rohit. I liked the story, and then I was doing a film in the language that I was really comfortable in and the dates worked out perfectly. So, everything fitted in just right.

Singham has been made in many languages (originally in Tamil as Singam, dubbed into Telugu as Yamudu, remade in Kannada as Kempegowda, in Bengali as Shotru). What made you sign it now after all the other releases?

I had seen the original in Tamil and I really liked it. When I got an offer to do it in Hindi, I was happy because Hindi is a known language for me -- we speak Hindi at home so I was more than happy to do it in a language I am comfortable in.

Ajay Devgn plays the character of Singham in the film and the title suggests it's his film all the way through, so where does that leave you?

Yes, it is essentially an action flick but nonetheless it does have elements of drama, emotions, it has a nice love angle too. You don't have to be on screen for two hours to show you have talent, you can prove yourself in 15 to 20 minutes. So, although I don't have a run of two hours in the film, my character is extremely important and will be noticed.

Have you got any other offers from Bollywood?

Yes, I have an offer but I can't disclose the details right now.

Suppose you start getting more films here, will you stop working in South films?

No, I will just wisely choose projects from both industries.

...being a human...