Results 1 to 2 of 2
Thread: Cure for prickly heat
02-16-2009, 12:33 PM #1
Cure for prickly heat
The main culprit behind the occurrence of skin disorders like sunburn and prickly heat is getting too much sun. Prickly heat occurs when the sweat glands become blocked, causes intensely itchy spots that give one the feeling of intense discomfort.
Causes of Prickly Heat
The main cause of prickly heat is over exposure to the sun and inadequate sun protection gear. Usually when the skin is in contact with harsh UV rays for more than 15 minutes, it leads to prickly heat. Sometimes, prickly heat can manifest itself in the form of tiny blisters spread over the top of the arms, neck and back or at times, it can be a certain type of redness on the skin. In either circumstance, the next step would be to rid yourself of restrictive garments and choose to let your skin breathe out the heat by wearing loose fitting, natural-fiber clothes.
Prevention of Prickly Heat
* The use of a sun cream with a minimum SPF15 is recommended at least 2 minutes prior to going out in the sun and reapplication may be necessary if you intend staying out more than 3 hours.
* Wear loose fitting, cotton or natural fiber clothing and a wide brimmed hat to protect your skin from harsh UV rays and drink plenty of water to stay hydrated.
* Do not let perspiration dry on your skin as this can lead to further clogging of skin pores; instead wipe away with a clean towel or kerchief and keep skin dry.
Home Remedies for Prickly Heat
If a person is suffering from prickly heat, the first step would be to release the heat from his/her body so that the skin can breathe.
* Application of a cold compress to take the heat out and an un-perfumed moisturizer patted on lightly will help reduce dryness and redness caused due to prickly heat.
* Avoid using greasy moisturizers to hydrate the skin as these can trap heat and cause more discomfort to the blistering burns. The affected areas need to be kept clean and dry to prevent infection from spreading to other body parts.
* Aloe Vera gel is a highly effective remedy for soothing prickly heat since it is endowed with anti-inflammatory properties and tissue regenerative substances, such as zinc.
* Two excellent essential oils for treating skin disorders like prickly heat and sunburn are lavender and chamomile that even children can use safely. Lavender soothes and cools the skin and is the only essential oil that can be applied directly on to the skin.
* Straight off the kitchen shelf is another effective home remedy for treating prickly heat: honey! It cools and calms the affected area and replenishes natural sugars lost in sun exposure.
* Increasing intake of fruit that have a high water-content like watermelon, pineapple or cucumber helps replace lost fluids. In hot countries, fresh mint or lemongrass tea is frequently consumed because of its cooling properties, especially mint tea that helps reduce body temperature and takes the heat out of the prickly!
03-05-2009, 01:42 PM #2