Kal Ho Na Ho
    India & Cambodia

Default Supreme disasters

Follow us on Social Media

Supreme disasters

January 15, 2009 - 08:31 IST

Post QAYAMAT SE QAYAMAT TAK, I distinctly recall, the trade magazines were full of announcements of love stories. A similar bhed-chaal was noticed when MAINE PYAR KIYA re-wrote history. Almost every producer then was either keen on starting a love story or had already started one. Those were the days when 30/40 films were announced in any given week, with actors having 50/60/70 films on hand at any given time, doling out dates to producers as if they were distributing prasad.

But not all love stories got completed or made it big when released. The ratio of success continued to be what it is today -- a meagre 7% to 9%.

With BHEJA FRY proving a major success, a number of producers suddenly found that elusive formula for success. Sign a supporting/television/budding actor, limit the production cost to less than a crore and recover the investment from India theatrical, Home Video and Satellite rights… Presto, you could walk away with a neat profit.

But look what happened to OH, MY GOD!! last month and BAD LUCK GOVIND last Friday. It's a delusion that anything and everything served by dream merchants will be lapped up by audiences, now that the junta is back to theatres, courtesy RAB NE BANA DI JODI and GHAJINI.

Picture this! GHAJINI [now in its third week] was running with 60% occupancy over the weekend, while the new release, BAD LUCK GOVIND, running in the adjacent screen, fetched a mere 5% - 7% collections. Gone are the days when you could get the spill-over audience of a successful film. Also, you have to perform in the opening weekend. It's hit out or get out!

What do I say about KAASHH… MERE HOTE!? Its fate was evident at the premiere screening of the film on Thursday night. The screen was almost packed with guests when the movie began, but post intermission, there were hardly any patrons left. A similar thing had occurred during the premiere of Mimoh Chakraborty's misadventure JIMMY. If the invitees had the gall to walk out of the premiere screening of KAASHH… MERE HOTE!, imagine the response when people actually spend money to watch this outdated and archaic film, I said to myself.

What pains me is the fact that the makers of these two films [BAD LUCK GOVIND, KAASHH… MERE HOTE!] could've steered them to safety had they worked on the script, making, packaging et al. But the fact remains that the films were terrible, unbearable, a complete letdown.

2009 may've started with a whimper, but fasten your seats belts, for there's so much to look forward to in the following weeks. Picture abhi baaki hain dost!