Default Aston Villa boss taken to hospital

Follow us on Social Media

Aston Villa manager Gerard Houllier was detained in hospital on Wednesday night after being taken ill.

The nature of the problem remains unclear but Houllier is understood to be "comfortable". He is due to spend several days in hospital and assistant Gary McAllister appears likely to take charge of Saturday's game against Stoke.

Villa are yet to make any comment on the situation but are expected to release an official statement later on Thursday.

Houllier was taken to hospital in October 2001 during his time in charge of Liverpool and had to undergo emergency heart surgery. He was absent for five months before returning to the club.

When Houllier accepted the Villa job at the start of the season, he revealed he had sought the advice of heart surgeon Dr Abbas Rashid.

"When you go into a job you know there will be pressure, that it will be hard work and you won't sleep every night," he said at the time. "You need to make sure your body is ready. I have checked that. I am much healthier and fitter now than I was before."

Houllier has come under fire from the Villa fans this season, although the 2-1 win over West Ham at the weekend has lifted the club into the top half of the table.