I Love ALLAH
    Lahore, Pakistan

Default Adobe Photoshop Complete Course | Lecture 9

Follow us on Social Media

Add a layer

First you need to add a new layer. You control the work in the different layers with the layers palette. If it is not on the screen, it can be opened with F7.

1. In the layers palette you see a thumbnail image of the solid violet picture that you have on the screen:

2. This first layer is referred to as ”Background.” It is created in most new pictures. To begin with this layer is ”locked,” as you saw it in a previous exercise.
    3. The layer palette has many settings options, for now we will only cover the most important ones. In the bottom of the palette you see a number of buttons. Noc click on the button Create a new layer:

4. Now a new field appeears in the layer palette called Layer 1, as you see here:

If you have a picture that consists of many layers, it can easily be confusing to figure out what is what. Therefore it is a good idea to get in the habit of assigning the layers descriptive names.
    5. Tight click on layer 1, and choose Layer Properties… from the menu:

6. That opens the dialog box Layer Properties. Here you can name the layer, and you can give the layer button another color.
    7. Write Oval in the name field. Click on the arrow in the right end of the color field, and select Yellow. Then clck OK:

It facilitates navigation between the different layers when the layer lines have different colors in the palette.
    8. Save the picture with Control+ s. That saves also the new layer.
    9. Then click on the marquee tool (top left tool or use shortcut letter m), and choose the Elliptical Marquee Tool:

10. Click somewhere in the picture and hold the mouse button down while you drag an ellipse of suitable size:

11. Select a pure yellow color from the Swatches palette:

12. Fill the ellipse with the yellow color. Did you forget how to fill? See the description on page 19, or use the shortcut Alt+Backspace, which just fills a selected area with foreground color.
    13. Remove the selection with Control+d or by clicking somewhere outside the ellipse.
    14. The layers palette now shows the new layer with name and yellow color. You also see a miniature of its contents (the small yellow ellipse):

15. Activate the move tool (with v), and try to move the yellow oval around on the violet background:

16. Save the picture with Control+s.
    So photoshop can work with pictures in many layers. But be aware that there is one selected and active layer. You can only make changes in the selected area.

I trust cigratte more than a girl.
    It will damage my lungs but will never break my heart ;-)

Landed To DesiRulez