Runner Up - Admins Awards www.desirulez.net

T

Default Ganguly retires from all forms of cricket

Follow us on Social Media

Confusion ruled supreme on Monday after Sourav Ganguly told a news channel that he will no longer play competitive cricket, only to retract that statement hours later.
    Asked by reporters in Kolkata whether he had announced his retirement from all forms of the game, Ganguly is reported to have said he has not announced his retirement per se and that if he gets an opportunity in the IPL, he will play.

This was in direct contrast to his reported statement he made during the television interview where he said he will no longer play competitive cricket after the IPL Governing Council did not allow unsold players to purchased outside the auction.
    Ganguly with a base price of $400,000 remained unsold during the IPL - 4 players auction on January 8 and 9. New entrant Kochi then sought to buy Ganguly outside the auction but failed to procure the necessary no objection certificate from the other nine teams.
    Ganguly said during the interview that he played the Ranji Trophy only to stay in shape for the IPL and now that he isn't part of the League, there was no question of playing on competitively.
    The 38-year-old, who represented India in 113 Tests, scoring 7212 runs with an average of over 42, had retired from international cricket in October 2008.
    The southpaw also played 311 one day internationals and scored a staggering 11363, including 22 centuries and 72 half-centuries. He captained India in 49 Tests and 147 ODIs and also took India into the finals of the 2003 Cricket World Cup.
    ...being a human...

Runner Up - Admins Awards www.desirulez.net

T

Default Ganguly 'shocked' about retirement reports

A day after speculation about his retirement from all forms of cricket did the rounds, former India captain Sourav Ganguly on Tuesday said it was a classic case of misunderstanding and he was "shocked and disappointed" to see how his comments were misinterpreted by the media.

Reiterating that he has not called it quits from domestic cricket, Ganguly said the media blew his remarks out of proportion, and at no point of time during the interview did he speak about complete retirement from the game.

"It was completely misunderstood. It was in a sequence of questions… I had said that I would not play domestic cricket if don't play in IPL. It was said in a different perspective completely," a peeved Ganguly said.

"I had never said in the interview that I was retiring from all forms of cricket and there was no question of backtracking. I don't understand how they (media) came to such a conclusion," he added.
    ...being a human...