Results 1 to 2 of 2
02-04-2011, 10:20 PM #1
Ganguly fails to get all-clear to play IPL-4Sourav Ganguly failed yet again to make it to the fourth season of the Indian Premier League after Team Kochi's move to sign for the former India captain was stalled on Friday.
It is believed that as many as four of the ten franchises objected to the left-hander's inclusion in Team Kochi.
The latest move is further humiliation for Ganguly, who was not picked in the IPL Players' Auction last month.
The IPL's governing council had a meeting in Mumbai on Friday after Kochi had sought to the BCCI's permission to buy Ganguly at his base price of $400,000.
The IPL, in a letter to all the teams, had said a request was received from franchises that subject to them having sufficient balance on the salary cap to pay at least the reserve price of the relevant player, they should have the opportunity to sign unsold Indian players from the auction.
IPL's Chief Operating Officer Sundar Raman further said "the auction regulations were clear that players not taken in the auction could only play in IPL 2011 as replacement players".
"Before the Governing Council deliberates on this issue, I wanted to get your view on this issue and if your franchise is agreeable to : permit franchise to buy any unsold Indian players from the auction; The player can be bought only at his reserve price"....being a human...
02-05-2011, 06:59 AM #2
BCCI declines Kochiís request to include Ganguly in the squadSourav Gangulyís chances of playing in the fourth edition of the IPL seem to get slimmer by the day. The IPL governing council, after its meeting today, turned down Kochiís request to buy Sourav Ganguly.
As per the existing IPL rules, unsold players cannot be signed after the auction. However, franchises can place a request to buy such players at their base price, which would be deducted from the teamís salary cap.
Ganguly, who had raised his base price from $200,000 to $400,000, went unsold during the IPL auction that took place on 8th and 9th January 2011 at Bangalore.
The IPL Governing Council had forwarded Kochiís request to the other franchises who had to reply before February 3, 2011, failing which it would be assumed that the franchises had no objection.
However, it appears that Royal Challengers Bangalore, Mumbai Indians and the Rajasthan Royals had objections for this move and subsequently, Kochiís request was declined.
The move seems to be the finishing blow on Gangulyís IPL career, unless the franchises show some last minute change of heart....being a human...