Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Runner Up - Admins Awards

Default ....ICC Cricket World Cup 2011.....@ ..DESIRULEZ >..

Follow us on Social Media

ICC WORLD CUP 2011

but here you can view all matches in V.I.P Zone
    by payment ......

ICC WORLD CUP 2011 | High Quality Links| 49 Games for $20 Only

..||ICC WORLD CUP 2011 ..|| High Quality Links ..|| 49 Games for $20...|| click here

Last edited by Caasanova; 02-03-2011 at 02:30 AM.
    ...being a human...

The Creator :)

move this to ICC worldcup section

Quote Originally Posted by Solution24 View Post
    move this to ICC worldcup section

...being a human...

Default Team India can handle pressure at World Cup: Dhoni

Weighed down by the pressure of expectations four years ago, the Indian squad crashed out of the World Cup at the preliminary stage itself but current captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni is confident his team would handle the burden better in the upcoming mega-event.

"We take pressure as an added responsibility. We will stick to the basics and prepare well. We have the potential to do well in the tournament. For a change we will not be the underdogs," said Dhoni at a promotional event here.

The Ranchi-born wicket-keeper batsman, however, refused to predict whether India will go on and regain the coveted crown after a gap of 28 years.

"I never predict what will happen in cricket. We believe in each other and we believe in the process. We will take each game in the right frame of mind," said Dhoni ahead of India's campaign in the February 19-April 2 showpiece event.

Dhoni brushed aside concerns about India's opening match against co-hosts Bangladesh in Dhaka after what had happened in the 2007 World Cup in the West Indies when the Rahul Dravid-led side got knocked out following a shock defeat at the hands of their eastern neighbours.

"The past is past. I am more optimistic than you," he said referring to the lung-opener against Bangladesh on February 19.
    ...being a human...

Default World Cup 'power riots' worry Dhaka

Bangladesh has ordered electricity companies to show World Cup cricket matches on generator-powered public screens in a bid to prevent protests by irate fans if power cuts disrupt TV broadcasts.

Cricket-mad Bangladesh is a co-host of the World Cup, which starts February 19, and Dhaka is keen to prevent a repeat of the unrest during the 2010 football World Cup when fans rioted after power cuts interrupted viewing.

"We have been told to show World Cup matches on generator-powered wide-screens. We are going to organise this because of the prevailing power shortages," said Manzur Rahman, head of state-owned power company DESCO.

The World Cup cricket matches will last about eight hours, which makes ensuring uninterrupted power supply during the matches in energy-starved Bangladesh an almost impossible task, Rahman said.

"Our priority will be to ensure a non-stop power supply during the Bangladesh matches," he told AFP, adding the wide-screens would be set up in public spaces so that hundreds of cricket fans could watch the matches.
    ...being a human...

Default Ponting hoping to recover in time before World Cup

Ricky Ponting batted for the first time on Tuesday at the nets after injuring his finger during the Ashes series and said although pain is there but he is confident of recovering before the World Cup.

Ponting, who had undergone a surgery to heal a fractured little finger, did some fielding practice and faced spinners during the session with batting coach Justin Langer but did not face fast bowlers.

"I think I'm going to have that (pain) for a while to tell you the truth. I don't think it's going to be one of those things that goes away altogether," Ponting said. Ponting is hoping that he be able to play in Australia's two practice games before their opening World Cup match against Zimbabwe on February 21.

"I'll see how it pulls up in the morning and do a bit more tomorrow while the boys are out in the middle and hopefully it keeps progressing the way it has," Ponting was quoted as saying by Sydney Mornig Herald.
    ...being a human...

Default 'Sachin-Viru's stay in first 15 overs will be key'

Strong starts by the opening duo of Sachin Tendulkar and Virender Sehwag would be key to India's success at the forthcoming World Cup, off-spinner Harbhajan Singh said on Wednesday.

The feisty 30-year-old off-spinner said the feat of the 1983 World Cup, when Kapil Dev and Co stunned one and all by lifting the coveted trophy, inspires him a lot.

"I am always reminded of the 1983 World Cup, have seen the clippings so many times. This time around, if Sachin and Sehwag stay together at the crease for the first 15 overs, it would be very difficult for the opposition to come back into the match," Harbhajan told reporters.

Harbhajan's bonding with Tendulkar is well documented and the 'Turbanator' is hoping that the Mubaikar continues his hugely successful pairing with the Delhi dazzler in the quadrennial extravaganza, starting February 19 in Bangladesh.
    ...being a human...

Default DRS, Super Over to make World Cup debuts

The much-debated Decision Review System (DRS) and the Super Over, used in case of tie matches in knockout stages, would make their World Cup debut in the upcoming extravaganza which unfolds in the sub-continent on February 19.

As per the playing conditions for cricket's showpiece set out by the International Cricket Council , DRS will be used in all matches.

DRS, which has been used in Test matches selectively when the two competing teams' Boards have agreed to its implementation, has been consistently opposed by the Indian board.

Sri Lanka's former World Cup-winning skipper Arjuna Ranatunga on Wednesday came out wholeheartedly in its support at a function in Mumbai .

"If ICC has the technology, they might as well use it and give the benefit to the players. It is a World Cup and one decision can change the game," said Ranatunga.

DRS, which has been used in some bilateral Test series while ignored for others due to lack of agreement between the concerned boards, would be making its entry for the first time in ODI cricket.
    ...being a human...

Default PCB to get $ 400,000 per WC match it lost

The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) will be paid around USD 400,000 for every match it was supposed to host in the World Cup, which could not be held in the country due to security concerns.
    The International Cricket Council (ICC) had moved away Pakistan's share of 14 matches and distributed them among the other three joint hosts - India, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh - but the PCB would still be paid the hosting fees.

Sources in the PCB told PTI that under the host countries agreement signed by the co-hosts with the ICC, all host countries will get around 400,000 dollars per match they host.
    "The amount could be as high as USD 500,000 but the 400,000 dollars is confirmed," one source said.
    "That was basically the solution worked out to the dispute between the PCB and ICC over the issue of hosting rights which led to the PCB sending a legal notice to the sport's world governing body after the shifting of the matches in 2009," the source said.
    The matches, including a semifinal, were moved from Pakistan after the militant attack on Sri Lankan team in Lahore in March 2009.
    ...being a human...

Default Good chance for India to break the 'home' jinx

It was a momentous occasion as all the previous World Cup-winning captains, except Ricky Ponting, came under a single roof. Rarely has cricket seen such a gathering of champions.

West Indies' double World Cup-winning captain Clive Lloyd, India's Kapil Dev, Australians Allan Border and Steve Waugh, Pakistan's Imran Khan and Sri Lanka's Arjuna Ranatunga discussed the forthcoming tournament, beginning February 19, at the Champions of the World promotional event, organised by telecom giants Idea.

All the legendary cricketers were unanimous in their choice as India being the top favourites to win the World Cup, closely followed by neighbours Sri Lanka.

Sri Lanka is the only team to have won the World Cup as hosts, when they triumphed in 1996, and Kapil believes the in-form Indian team has a chance to replicate the feat.

"On paper India looks a much better team. And, if the home teams haven't managed to win the tournament then it is a good chance to break the jinx," he said.
    ...being a human...

Default Sehwag on India's World Cup chances

CNN-IBN spoke exclusively to swashbuckling opener Virender Sehwag about the upcoming World Cup which will be his third appearance in the mega event.
    CNN-IBN: How do you feel after recovering from shoulder injury?

Sehwag: I was feeling some pain in my shoulder. So better to quite the South Africa one-dayers. I didn't want to take any chance. I didn't want to get injured on South Africa tour and miss the World Cup. So I came back and went to Germany to see a couple of doctors. Got a couple of injections and now I'm fine. So I'm going to NCA and spend a couple of days there, take treatment and then get ready for World Cup.

CNN-IBN: You'll be able to bat without any problems you think?
    Sehwag: Yes, yes I can.
    CNN-IBN: And what about bowling, fielding because everyone thinks in India Virender Sehwag - the off spinner - is going to be as important, throwing from the deep and things like that. You're okay with that?
    Sehwag: Yes. I'll go to NCA and check everything, if I can bowl and throw also but if I can't, then I'll let them know. But yes, at the moment I'm fully fit.
    CNN-IBN: We know you have been around Indian cricket for a very long time, you're a veteran of the team now, vice captain and you've played two World Cups before, but this is coming to India. Among the players and within your own mind is this a very special occasion as a cricket player?
    Sehwag: Yes, everybody wants to play the World Cup and I'm lucky enough to play two World Cups and this is going to be my third one. I can say that I'm very lucky that I'm playing at home. You hardly get the chance to play the World Cup in your country. So i think the bunch of players we have, we are very lucky to play this World Cup in India. The expectations are so high. So hopefully, we'll deliver. We'll give it our best shot. We'll try to do well in the World Cup. If the day belongs to us, we can beat any side.
    CNN-IBN: There is a huge amount of expectation but this is a pretty strong group. There is South Africa, England, West Indies as well as Bangladesh. Do you think that game as your revenge game, the 19th of February?
    Sehwag: I can say that because we're playing the opening game against Bangladesh in Bangladesh. So Bangladeshi people are expecting Bangladesh to beat India again. But this time we have to prepare well so hopefully we will beat Bangladesh in Bangladesh so you can say it's a revenge game for us and we won't take the game lightly. We will give our best shot and we will come hard on Bangladesh.
    CNN-IBN: The other teams in the group, South Africa, England? England maybe have not the same success in the one day international than the Test cricket. South Africa has always been a very good team and you just had a series against them and also West Indies?
    CNN-IBN: I think one good point we have against them is that we are playing at home and we know better how wicket will behave and when we played against England last time we won 5-0 that also matter and against South Africa we did well in South Africa and we do well in India. When Sachin got double hundred that series we won, so we have a good chance. West Indies have good players like Pollard and Gayle, if they click on then maybe its difficult for us but India also have a very good player like Tendulkar, Sehwag, Gambhir, Yuvraj, Dhoni, Yusuf Pathan so I am looking forward to see Yusuf Pathan in the World Cup.
    CNN-IBN: You have got a great record since 2009, your average is nearly 44, strike rate is 125, so you must be very happy with your performance consistency wise?
    Sehwag: I am looking at the different way, I am very happy that I contribute for my team and we have won tournaments not because of my performance but because of bowlers performance and the other batsman's performance. So yes individual performance has been better but it matters when you play as a team and when team win, you feel happy. Winning series is the most important thing for me.
    CNN-IBN: India should worry about it a little bit because Virender Sehwag is coming out of injury so is Gautam Gambhir, Yuvraj Singh has not been in a kind of form we have seen in the past. Sachin Tendulkar has played only four one day game in last year or so, Suresh Raina has lost his place in Test cricket and has not don good in ODIs off late. So that batting line up which looks good in paper has some problems, do you think so?
    Sehwag: There is a time. Time is coming for Indian batsman and I am looking forward for it.
    CNN-IBN: You are not worried at all?
    Sehwag: I am not worried at all because something you perform sometime you not. I was not performing well in 2006-2007 but my time came in 2008, 2009, 2010. I performed well, scored in one days and Test matches. So this thing happen to every single player. Look at the Ricky Ponting record, he played four Ashes Test matches and how many hundreds he got? So time is changing for everyone, so I think it's right time for Indian team, first no one was scoring big hundreds but now its time for World Cup and everyone will score.
    CNN-IBN: I want to ask you one last thing, we have seen you lot in ad campaigns in years, but please tell me about this pepsi one? Its an absolutely brilliant ad according to the lot of people.
    Sehwag: Its a nice concept, everyone is without clothes than they put colours and bubbles of pepsi. It was looking very nice.
    CNN-IBN: What was yours son's reaction, your younger son is way too young but your older must know about that. What he said?
    Sehwag: No he did not knew it. He don't know what is pepsi and what is coke.
    CNN-IBN: What was your wife's reaction?
    Sehwag: She was excited. She said wow you are looking good because when they asked to remove your tee shirts and we will click your nude pictures. We were shocked, we said we can't do that but they showed original pictures that it will look like that so we said and yes and we will do that and actually we did that.
    ...being a human...

Default Pathan will be the most important player: Kapil

Every World Cup throws up a hero.

Who can forget Kapil Dev single-handedly taking India to an unexpected title triumph in 1983, or Imran Khan inspiring Pakistan to their world title in 1992 and Sanath Jayasuriya's blast that helped Sri Lanka triumph at home in 1996.

As the 2011 World Cup approaches, former World Cup-winning captains pick their top player, who they believe can make an impact in the mega-event.

It is very difficult for me to pick one Indian player, because there are so many match-winners in the team, and on their given day they can change the course of a match.

"But I would like to see Yusuf Pathan, because I feel he will be the most important player for India. He can win matches from a losing position.
    ...being a human...

New Arrivals

will u show the practice matches as well

dR Contributor

I like playing in my country

Default Performance of India in World Cup 2011 and AD Revenue for TV Channels

Indian national cricket team is a hot-cake when it comes to advertising revenue for television channels during a major cricket tournament like Cricket World Cup. Advertisers and television channels are now busy with another 50-over World Cup coming nearer. This time the tournament will take place in South Asia and India is one of the three hosts. So, the craze for cricket is very high in India at the moment.

However, television channels did have a bitter experience in the 2007 World Cup that took place in West Indies. Indian cricket team was knocked out of the tournament at the group stage and their failure to reach the Super Eight round was a crucial blow for the television channels like Set Max, SAB TV and DD as well as for the advertisers. India lost to Bangladesh and Sri Lanka, and experienced an early exit from the tournament. Set Max suffered a loss of around Rs 70 to 80 crore as India’s World Cup mission ended just after 3 games.

This time ESPN and Start Sports hold the TV rights of the World Cup and they would try to avoid the fate Set Max suffered 4 years back. However, a lot would depend on the performance of Indian cricket team in the tournament.
    ...being a human...

Default Figure out the Previous World Cups

Result of finals:

1975 WEST INDIES (291-8) beat Australia (274) by 17 runs - Lord's
    1979 WEST INDIES (286-9) beat England (194) by 92 runs - Lord's
    1983 INDIA (183) beat West Indies (140) by 43 runs - Lord's
    1987 AUSTRALIA (253-5) beat England (246-8) by 7 runs - Calcutta
    1992 PAKISTAN (249-6) beat England (227) by 22 runs - Melbourne [ Images ]
    1996 SRI LANKA (245-3) beat Australia (241-7) by 7 wickets - Lahore [ Images ]
    1999 AUSTRALIA (133-2) beat Pakistan (132) by 8 wickets - Lord's
    2003 AUSTRALIA (359-2) beat India (234) by 125 runs - Johannesburg
    2007 AUSTRALIA (281-4) beat Sri Lanka (215-8) by 53 runs (D/L method) - Bridgetown

413-5 (50 overs) India v Bermuda- Port-of-Spain 2007
    398-5 (50 overs) Sri Lanka v Kenya - Kandy1996
    377-6 (50 overs) Australia v South Africa - Basseterre2007
    373-6 (50 overs) India v Sri Lanka - Taunton1999
    363-5 (50 overs) New Zealand v Canada - Gros Islet 2007
    360-4 (50 overs) West Indies v Sri Lanka - Karachi 1987
    359-2 (50 overs) Australia v India - Johannesburg 2003
    358-5 (50 overs) Australia v Netherlands - Basseterre 2007
    356-4 (50 overs) South Africa v West Indies - St.George's 2007
    353-3 (40 overs) South Africa v Netherlands - Basseterre 2007

313-7 (49.2 overs)Sri Lanka v Zimbabwe New Plymouth 1992 +
    301-9 (49.5 overs)England v West Indies Bridgetown 2007 +
    294 (48 overs)South Africa v Australia Basseterre 2007
    289-4 (47.4 overs)Australia v New Zealand Madras 1996 +
    289-9 (50 overs)West Indies v South Africa St.George's 2007
    288-9 (60 overs)Sri Lanka v Pakistan Swansea 1983
    286 (58 overs)Sri Lanka v England Taunton 1983
    276-4 (60 overs)Sri Lanka v Australia The Oval 1975
    276-3 (57.5 overs)West Indies v Australia Lord's 1983 +
    276-4 (45.4 overs)India v PakistanCenturion 2003 +
    275-9 (49 overs)South Africa v West Indies Cape Town 2003
    (+ winning totals)

671-16 (98 overs) Australia v South Africa Basseterre 2007
    652-12 (100 overs) Sri Lanka v Kenya Kandy 1996
    645-13 (100 overs) South Africa v West Indies St.George's 2007
    626-14 (120 overs) Pakistan v Sri Lanka Swansea 1983
    625-11 ( 99.2 overs) Zimbabwe v Sri Lanka New Plymouth 1992

(Completed Innings only)
    36 (18.4 overs) Canada v Sri Lanka Paarl 2003
    45 (40.3 overs) Canada v England Manchester 1979
    45 (14 overs) Namibia v Australia Potchefstroom 2003
    68 (31.3 overs) Scotland v West Indies Leicester 1999
    74 (40.2 overs) Pakistan v England Adelaide 1992
    77 (27.4 overs) Ireland v Sri Lanka St.George's 2007
    78 (24.4 overs) Bermuda v Sri Lanka Port-of-Spain 2007
    84 (17.4 overs) Namibia v Pakistan Kimberley 2003
    86 (37.2 overs) Sri Lanka v West Indies Manchester 1975

(in result-oriented games)
    73-11 (23.2 overs) Canada v Sri Lanka Paarl2003
    91-12 (54.2 overs) England v Canada Manchester 1979
    138-12 (41.4 overs) Scotland v West Indies Leicester 1999
    158-12 (37.4 overs) Ireland v Sri Lanka St.George's 2007
    173-11 (58 overs) Sri Lanka v West Indies Manchester 1975
    183-11 (42.2 overs) Ireland v Australia Bridgetown 2007
    187-16 (65 overs) England v Australia Leeds 1975
    190-12 (38.3 overs) Bermuda v Bangladesh Port-of-Spain 2007

10.05 West Indies 206-3 (20.3) v Canada Centurion 2003
    9.12 Australia 181-3 (19.5) v Bangladesh Chester-le-Street 1999
    9.08 South Africa 109-0 (12) v Bangladesh Bloemfontein 2003
    8.82 South Africa 353-3 (40)v Netherlands Basseterre 2007
    8.57 New Zealand 197-5 (23) v Canada Benoni 2003

1.11 Canada 45 (40.3) v England Manchester 1979
    1.79 East Africa 94 (52.3) v England Birmingham 1975
    1.83 Pakistan74 (40.2) v England Adelaide 1992
    1.93 Canada 36 (18.4) v Sri Lanka Paarl 2003

10 wickets India beat East Africa Leeds1975
    10 wickets West Indies beat Zimbabwe Birmingham 1983
    10 wickets West Indies beat Pakistan Melbourne 1992
    10 wickets South Africa beat Kenya Potchefstroom 2003
    10 wickets Sri Lanka beat Bangladesh Pietermaritzburg 2003
    10 wickets South Africa beat Bangladesh Bloemfontein 2003
    10 wickets Australia beat Bangladesh North Sound 2007
    257 runs India beat Bermuda Port-of-Spain 2007
    256 runs Australia beat Namibia Potchefstroom 2003
    243 runs Sri Lanka beat Bermuda Port-of-Spain 2007
    229 runs Australia beat Netherlands Basseterre 2007
    221 runs South Africa beat Netherlands Basseterre 2007
    215 runs Australia beat New Zealand St.George's 2007
    203 runs Australia beat Scotland Basseterre 2007
    202 runs England beat India Lord's1975

1 wicket West Indies beat Pakistan Birmingham 1975 (with two balls to spare)
    1 wicket Pakistan beat West Indies Lahore 1987 (off the last ball)
    1 wicket South Africa beat Sri Lanka Providence 2007 (with 10 balls to spare)
    1 wicket England beat West Indies Bridgetown 2007 (with one ball to spare)
    2 wickets New Zealand beat England Birmingham 1983 (with one ball to spare)
    2 wickets England beat West Indies Gujranwala 1987 (with three balls to spare)
    2 wickets Australia beat England Port Elizabeth 2003 (with two balls to spare)
    1 run Australia beat India Madras1987 (with two balls to spare)
    1 run Australia beat India Brisbane [ Images ] 1992 (off the last ball)
    2 runs Sri Lanka beat England North Sound 2007 (off the last ball)
    3 runs New Zealand beat Zimbabwe Hyderabad (India) 1987 (with two balls to spare)
    3 runs Australia beat New Zealand Indore 1987 (off the last ball)
    3 runs Zimbabwe beat India Leicester 1999 (with six balls to spare)
    3 runs West Indies beat South Africa Cape Town 2003 (off the last ball)
    5 runs Australia beat West Indies Mohali 1996 (off the last ball)

Austalia (213) v South Africa (213) Birmingham 1999
    Sri Lanka (268-9) v South Africa (229-6) Durban 2003
    Ireland (221-9) v Zimbabwe (221) Kingston [ Images ] 2007

QUICKEST VICTORIES (batting second)

Overs - Score
    4.4 | 37-1 Sri Lanka v Canada, Paarl 2003
    10.0 | 81-2 Sri Lanka v Ireland, St.George's 2007
    10.1 | 70-2 West Indies v Scotland, Leicester1999
    12.0 | 109-0 South Africa v Bangladesh, Bloemfontein 2003
    12.2 | 92-1 Australia v Ireland, Bridgetown 2007
    13.5 | 46-2 England v Canada, Manchester 1979
    13.5 | 106-0 Australia v Bangladesh, North Sound 2007

23 for Australia from Lord's v Pakistan 20-06-1999 to Bridgetown v Sri Lanka 28-04-2007
    9 for West Indies from Manchester v Sri Lanka 07-06-1975 to Lord's v England 23-06-1979
    8 for India from Harare v Zimbabwe 19-02-2003 to Durban v Kenya 20-03-2003
    7 for New Zealand from Auckland v Australia 22-02-1992 to Wellington v England 15-03-1992
    7 for Pakistan from Perth v Sri Lanka 15-03-1992 to Lahore v Netherlands 26-02-1996

18 for Zimbabwe from Leicester v India 11-06-1983 to Hobart v Australia 14-03-1992
    10 for Netherlands from Baroda v New Zealand 17-02-1996 to Bulawayo v Zimbabwe 28-02-2003
    8 for Scotland from Worcester v Australia 16-05-1999 to Basseterre v Netherlands 22-03-2007
    8 for Canada from Cape Town v Kenya 15-02-2003 to Gros Islet v New Zealand 22-03-2007
    ...being a human...

Default ICC cautions players on ambush marketing

The International Cricket Council (ICC) has cracked the whip on players, indulging knowingly or unknowingly in ambush marketing, by threatening to throw them out of the World Cup starting from February 19.
    "Any squad member that knowingly or unknowingly breaches the squad terms may face sanctions ranging from financial penalties through to being excluded from continued participation in the event," ICC's legal head David Becker said in a memo to all international players and cricket boards regarding guidelines for endorsements and commercials around the World Cup.

Interestingly, the memo went out on October 26 last year, but the Indian players seem to have just woken up to this threat, with four of them - including Sachin Tendulkar - having sought a meeting apparently to discuss the matter with BCCI president Shashank Manohar here on Friday.
    Tendulkar, with teammates Ashish Nehra, Yuvraj Singh and Harbhajan Singh in tow, met the BCCI chief ahead of the Indian Premier League's Governing Council meeting, it was learnt.
    An IPL franchise source told PTI that the meeting was sought by the players because the restrictions imposed by ICC on brand endorsements would begin seven days prior to the start of the World Cup and end only when a team goes out.
    "At all times squad members may not allow their name, likeness or image to be used by any third party in any advertising or endorsement (or for any commercial purpose) in such a way that gives rise to a direct or implied association with the event (the World Cup)," said Becker in his memo.
    ...being a human...

Default 2011 Cricket World Cup Venues in Photos

Eden Gardens (Largest stadium in India).
    Capacity: 120,000
    2011 Cricket World Cup is the 10th Cricket World Cup. Its hosted by 3 Asian nations India, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh. Cricket World Cup is the 3rd largest sporting event in world. Games of this world cup are being played at 13 venues in 3 host countries. Games will be played at 8 stadiums in India, 3 in Sri Lanka and 2 in Bangladesh.

M. A. Chidambaram Stadium
    Capacity: 50,000

New Delhi
    Feroz Shah Kotla
    Capacity: 48,000

Vidarbha Cricket Association Stadium
    Capacity: 45,000

Sardar Patel Stadium

R. Premadasa Stadium
    Capacity: 35,000

Muttiah Muralitharan International Cricket Stadium

Mahinda Rajapaksa International Stadium
    Capacity: 37,000

Wankhede Stadium
    Planned capacity: 45,000

Chittagong Divisional Stadium
    Capacity: 25,000

Punjab Cricket Association Stadium

Sher-e-Bangla Cricket Stadium
    Capacity: 25,000

M. Chinnaswamy Stadium
    ...being a human...

Default Cricket World Cup Diaries: To win after being favourites!

A friend queried me about India’s chances. I mean, realistically. Not an answer based on the chest-thumping show of veiled patriotism. Essentially, can we really see India win three games in a row, post the league-stage?
    Difficult to answer that one. Especially given the format. Given that India will be playing all their games in India save the opener. Given the pressure given they are, on paper, one of the top three sides. If I were to base my answer on history, the two occasions when the side did win a big tournament was in 1983 and 2007 – and both times, not only were they not tipped to win, but they were also underdogs.
    In 1987 India were joint favourites. So they were in 1996. And on both occasions the side did not get to the final.
    In 2003, the side had gone into the tournament after a tour of New Zealand where they were so badly beaten that it would have been difficult to tell whether they were playing cricket or had been bashed up by the All Blacks. And yet, they went on to enter the final.
    Thus, in more ways than one, it will need India to defy history
    ...being a human...

Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast