Runner Up - Admins Awards

Default Raja finally resigns over 2G spectrum scam

Follow us on Social Media

Facing Opposition onslaught and after days of defiance, Telecom Minister A Raja finally submitted his resignation to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh over the 2G spectrum scandal.
    "In order to avoid embarrassment to the Government and maintain peace and harmony in Parliament, my leader (DMK chief M Karunanidhi) has advised me to resign," Raja told reporters.
    "I will prove that I did everything according to law," Raja said, adding that his ministry was responsible for the revolution in the Indian telecom industry.

"I am committed to country and people. My conscience is very clear," he added.
    Raja, the 57-year-old lawyer-politician, who got the coveted portfolio after the exit of Dayanidhi Maran in 2007 and retained it after the May, 2009 elections, drove to Prime Minister's residence late tonight to hand in his resignation
    after steadfastly refusing to do so for the past few days even as the Opposition paralysed Parliament demanding his ouster.
    Reports said the telecom portfolio will now be with the Prime Minister. There was speculation earlier that the portfolio would go to a DMK nominee, possibly Karunanidhi's daughter and Rajya Sabha MP Kanimozhi or T R Baalu who had earlier been a Cabinet minister.
    Opposition parties welcomed the resignation of Telecom Minister A Raja over the 2G Spectrum scam but demanded an impartial inquiry into the alleged Rs 1.76 lakh crore fraud and filing of a case in this regard
    ...being a human...