Runner Up - Admins Awards

Default Green tea no protection against breast cancer

Follow us on Social Media

It may be packed with anti-oxidants but green tea does not protect against breast cancer, a study has revealed.

Previous research on both animals and human cells had suggested the hot drink could boost the body’s defences against the cancer. However, the latest analysis looking at 54,000 women found no association between drinking green tea and breast cancer risk, reports

Motoki Iwasaki at the National Cancer Center, Tokyo, worked with a team of researchers to carry out the study.

“Results from human studies have been inconclusive. Our large-scale, population-based prospective cohort study is one of the first to include a wide range of tea intakes -- women who drank green tea less than one cup per week to those who drank 10 or more cups per day,” he said.

“It found no overall association between green tea intake and the risk of breast cancer,” he added.

The study assessed tea intake by a questionnaire, once at the beginning of the study and then again five years later.
    ...being a human...

I heard caffeine can increase the risk of breast cancer ? Maybe any benefits from the green tea are negated by the caffeine ? Silver Water
    Last edited by JJknobs; 11-21-2010 at 04:51 AM.

New Arrivals

Isn't it amazing how much research changes our perspective of things? One day red meat is good for you, the next day it isn't. I try to keep myself healthy by eating a combination of foods and trying to keep my meals balanced. It is scary when you hear how food relates to cancer, especially since it something we have to have!
    Last edited by Springy; 12-14-2010 at 07:47 AM.