Thumbs up *.:。✿*゚ ‘゚・ ◊ INTERVIEWS *** Sonam Kapoor ◊ ・゚‘ ゚*✿。:.*

Follow us on Social Media

Sonam: 'I'll be matchmaking for my kids!'
    5 August 2010

How close is 'Aisha' to the original Jane Austen novel 'Emma'?

There are variations in the script as in we have interpreted the character differently, but it is an adaptation of 'Emma'. If you read 'Emma' you will find that there is a great deal of similarity. But we had to make her Indian, so there is a very Indian mind set to her as well.

So, is 'Aisha' just as pampered and spoilt as you are?

Emma and Aisha, I agree are pampered… but I don't know if I am pampered or spoilt. I had a privileged childhood and had everything, but most parents try to give their children everything they can give. My mom and dad have been amazing parents. I started earning when I was 17 yrs old; I haven't taken a penny from my parents since then. I don't think many people can say that.

It's being said that your sister Rhea was instrumental in setting the story of 'Aisha' in New Delhi…

The strata of society is very well defined in a place like Delhi, whereas in Mumbai it is not. There is a lot of merging of classes. In Delhi because of the political and business atmosphere, there is a very defined upper class and a very defined upper middle class, lower middle class and lower class. Delhi is also all about getting married to the right person. Most of India is like that, but Delhi is a bit more on the nose.

Do you think you possess the matchmaking skills of Aisha?

Well, I'm a true Punju at heart (giggles). And yeah, somewhere it's there at the back of my mind. I keep thinking about how good this guy would look with his girl. That train of thought of matchmaking is definitely there. I'll surely be matchmaking for my kids!

The first day of filming 'Aisha' at Central Park in New Delhi on August 30, 2009, was marked by rains strong winds and difficult weather. Were you flustered by it?

It is going to be a yr for it now! That was the first day I shot for 'Aisha' and that was also the first day I actually met my character. I was just so happy to be her and to be in those shoes and to shoot this film, because it is a dream role. I wanted to work with Abhay, Raji (Rajshree Ojha) and I wanted my sister to make a film because I think she is going to be one of the biggest film makers in our country. It was just a day of looking forward to and a day of being positive. So I wasn't flustered.

Can you briefly compare yourself to your sister…

My sister is amazing and is superlative at her job. She is younger than me, but she is more put together and she's more aware of what is happening around. I am more of a loner and very introspective. I tend to be by myself a lot. Rhea is very organised and I'm very creative. Acting is a solo job, but as a producer you need to be a people's person. Rhea is that, she's more of a leader. I don't think I am a leader. I'm more of a solo performer.

What made your dad Anil Kapoor and Rhea zero in on Rajshree Ojha as the choice of director for 'Aisha'?

Rajshree got the script; it was her idea written by Devika, of course. She came with it to me and told me that she'd thought of me as Emma. That credit was given to Raji and that is why she was asked to direct 'Aisha.'

What really would you say is the USP of 'Aisha'?

There are a lot of stories which are coming of age for men; I think this is a first time we have a movie which is coming of age for women and a girl becoming a woman. I don't know of any romantic comedy chick flick which has been made in India ever. Girls will love it, they will identify with it, they will think of wanting to find a correct boy who will help them stand up for themselves and encourage them to be independent…

So, it's a woman empowering equation at work here…

Yeah, in a way, 'Aisha' will teach you to be your own person to the fullest. It will encourage girls to dress up and look beautiful, to know that they are beautiful, no matter who they are. I think there will be a space of girls taking their boys for the movie. I think they will take back a lot of fun, love and a sense of identity that each person will get. You don't have to be anybody but yourself and people will love you, no matter what.

You've been praising your costume designer Pernia Qureshi a lot, recently….

Pernia Qureshi is amazing. She is a friend. She designs for your body and for the character with a twist of her own style. Pernia is more of a costume designer. We don't have costume designers in our country, we have stylists who bring up their own individuality. But for a film you need to dress for a character and she dresses characters and has done it quite stylishly. Pernia has worked for Conde Nast, New York and Harpers in India. She has styled me a lot. Pernia is young, well travelled, well read and she understands clothes. She has done a fabulous job for the girls in 'Aisha'.

The men too seemed to be very well turned out in your film…

Kunal Rawal has done the men's clothes. He is amazing and he's my Best friend as well. He is very friendly with Abhay and Cyrus so there was an instant repartee between all of them. He has done a fabulous job. Men are not styled so well in Indian films, but he's styled them beautifully in 'Aisha'.

You're seen as quite a fashionista. Do you buy your own images as one?

No, I don't think I am. I think I am an individual. I have a specific sense of myself and I dress to please myself, not to please the society or make people take my photograph. I enjoy dressing up. I think anybody who has a sense of individuality and self, who dresses for themselves have a sense of style, because you are confident in your skin and you love what you are wearing. You love who you are, so I the vibe gets projected automatically. So if that's what is coming across, then it is brilliant. But I don't think it is necessary to be a slave to fashion. It is my second love, I mean my first love is movies.

What's Rajshree's strongpoint as a director?

Rajshree Ojha is open to ideas and open to letting you do your own thing. Through out the film, all of us have pretty much done our own thing, she has just steered us in the right direction. Yes, we had a very intense workshop with all the actors where we would video tape all the scenes. We finished our 'Aisha' schedule two days earlier, because we all were so well prepared.

What have you picked up working with a fine actor like Abhay Deol?

Abhay and I are very similar in our acting style. In fact, we are very similar as people too…and that's what he keeps on saying! Not because of anything else, but we tend to look at things in a similar manner and we usually take the bull by its horns. Actually, he's a very selfless actor. Abhay is very confident in his own skin and he knows what exactly he wants to say in a scene. If he has to cut down his dialogue, he will do that just to make sure that the scene works. So he works for the benefit of the film instead of the benefit of himself. I learnt this from Abhay. Once the movie works, then you as a character work. I think that speaks of a very confident person. So I think Abhay is a very confident actor and person.

Which outdoor schedule of 'Aisha' has been the most memorable one for you?

The one at Rishikesh. It's beautiful. It is truly God's place. There is great nature, great food, the energy is fantastic.There is always an 'aarti' going on somewhere. It was lovely to be there. We had a blast. We went rafting, hiking, we went all over the village; actually, Rishikesh is like a mixture of village and city culture. Its weird and we had a great time. It was more like a holiday and the whole crew misses it.

Your chick flick has a predominantly young and an almost all women crew…

There is a joke that I have only women around me all the time in all my films. But I actually prefer working with women. Creatively, women are more evolved then men in a certain way. They are more sensitive as people, are more caring and have more depth. Men tend to think on the surface level, but women are nurturing and caring and they have a certain way of taking care. That is why 'Aisha' was so beautiful to work on, because everybody wanted to make a home out of it. Even when we had one day of patch work, everybody used to be so excited to get back. This is because we created that atmosphere. Women tend to make a home everywhere they go. Women are also more emotional. It works especially when you are doing a female oriented film.

You're also working in Anees Bazmee's comedy 'Thank You'…

Yes, we have finished a whole schedule for 'Thank you'. It is a laugh riot and it was a privilege working with Akshay, Irrfan, Bobby and Suniel Shetty. I haven't had a chance to work with the girls as yet, but I have worked with all of the men. They are just amazing and they treat me just like a little kid.

You've also accepted a rather serious role in 'Mausam'?

Yeah and it's an honour to work with Pankaj Kapur, because he is one of the premier actors of our country. And, of course, Shahid because he is simply amazing.

dR Force!!!
    Sea Side

nice work

dR Contributor
    Jamaica Kingston

great art