Runner Up - Admins Awards

Default Producers and artistes discuss the FWICE' '12-hour for workers' rule

Follow us on Social Media

FWICE (Federation of Western India Cine Employees) has raised an objection against production houses making employees work for more than 12 hours a day. The issue has taken serious proportions as the Federation recently disrupted shoots of shows like Mera Naam Karegi Roshan, Sarvagunna Sampanna, Yahaan Main Ghar Ghar Kheli etc. We spoke to TV producers and artistes to know their take on the issue…

Guroudev Bhalla (Producer, Pratigya) - It’s a little premature to talk about the issues right now. The Producers’ Association is trying to work it out with them. Come to think of it there are several factors that affect the shooting hours. There is no script bank ready, scripts don’t come on time. If the script bank is in place, then the 12 hour schedule is workable. Also scripts have to be written in such a manner that two units are possible. However, we are trying to sort out the issue and hopefully things will be clearer in a few days.

Ashita Dhawan Gulabani (Actor, Bidaai) - I feel the Federation is absolutely right. It is the equal responsibility of the producers, channel to co-ordinate and co-operate with each other. I don’t know why there should be a delay. However, I think it is a temporary phase and won’t last long. But I am happy with the rule and will support it.

Sheel Kumar (Producer, Bhagyavidhaata) - The pattern that we are following in the TV industry is according to the requirements. I don’t know why the issues are been brought up. We are complying with their demands; workers get paid for their work. We also have two units for work. We ensure we take care of the artistes, but at the end of the day the producers are at loss. The points that FWICE have put forth are not new, we have been working on those points for some time now.

Sanaya Irani (Actor, Miley Jab Hum Tum) - It is a good rule. I feel even 12 hours is too much to ask. The rule is especially good for workers who put in extra hours. Actors are well paid and can even ask and demand their wishes. But workers are bound by contracts. Actors have a leeway but workers do not. The production house and the channel should ensure a bank of episodes; a bound script is what you need. If this can be worked out then I think things will automatically fall into place. I think a weekly holiday is also required.

Abhinav Shukla (Actor, Geet) - I feel their wants and demands are reasonable. Producers have an upper hand in everything. There should be a clause included with permission to shoot for long hours sometimes. But I feel whatever the Federation is doing is appreciative.
    ...being a human...