Runner Up - Admins Awards www.desirulez.net

Default Asif, Amir, Butt suspended from international cricket by ICC

Follow us on Social Media

The International Cricket Council has finally moved to suspend the trio of Salman Butt, Mohammad Amir and Mohammad Asif from international cricket under the Anti-Corruption Code. The three have allegedly been accused of being involved in match-fixing by a British tabloid and with a video as evidence, the ICC has had no option but to suspend them.

Incidentally, it was on the same day that the Pakistan Cricket Board also announced that the three will not play in any of the remaining matches in UK because they were mentally tired. This announcement was made by the High Commission of Pakistan to the UK, Wajid Hasan, who also claimed later that the players were innocent and had been set up.
    According to an ICC release the three had been had suspended from cricket until the case has been concluded.
    It also said that the players had the right to defend themselves against this provisional suspension, as they they had once the charges were brought against them in entirety. The ICC chief Haroon Lorgat also said that the ICC had not done much before this announcement because they were busy preparing their case against the tainted trio.
    Asif, Amir and Butt were accused of spot-fixing by a British tabloid and had been called by the PCB to meet them at London.

Pakistan blames Pawar for ICC action against tainted trio

London: Pakistan today lashed out at the ICC for suspending three of its players facing 'spot-fixing' charges and sought to insinuate that its President Sharad Pawar had a hand in the decision.

Pakistan's High Commissioner to Britain, Wajid Shamsul Hasan threatened to sue the ICC for its unethical decision of suspending the players and said it was trying to make Pakistan a 'scapegoat' for its inefficiency.

'The three players met me requested me to ask the Pakistan Cricket Board not to consider them for the rest of the series because they wanted to clear their name and honour. Accordingly, I conveyed their requset to PCB chief Ijaz Butt who accepted it but all of a sudden the ICC came out with the notice,' he said.

The Pakistan High Commissioner was particularly critical of ICC Chief Executive Haroon Lorgat and President Sharad Pawar, saying he sensed a 'conspiracy' behind the suspensions.

'When Lorgat came to me I told him that the players themselves had opted out and how ECB chairman Giles Clarke was happy with their decision.

Last edited by Caasanova; 09-04-2010 at 07:49 AM.
    ...being a human...