Runner Up - Admins Awards

Default Saina to get Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award

Follow us on Social Media

The World No. 2 and Ace Indian badminton player, Saina Nehwal is selected for the India’s sporting honour, the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Rantna award on Friday. The award will be received on August 29, 2010 on the National Sports Day by Saina Nehwal from President Pratibha Patil in the Rashtrapati Bhawan. This decision is taken by the 15-members committee, which is headed by P T Usha. In July, Saina became World No. 2 Indian in the ranking of world badminton and she is just behind the Chinese player Yihan Wang.

Saina becomes the first Indian woman player who reaches in quarter finals of Olympic in Beijing and got bronze medal in Asia Badminton Championships. In March, she entered in the semi-finals of the All England Super Series 2010. She won 3 Super Series badminton tournaments in month of June. The Lok Sabha congratulated her for these successes. She also got three titles including the Singapore Open Super Series in June 2010, India Open Grand Prix Gold and Indonesia Open Super Series 2010. Saina Nehwal said, “The last three wins have really helped me. It is a great feeling but I feel my priority still will be to win more titles rather than focusing on ranking.”

The coach of Saina and former all England Badminton Champion, Pullela Gopichand appreciated her and told that she definitely deserves the award. Gopichand said, “She deserves the award. It’s her determination and hard work that brought the highest sporting award for her.” She told, “I am really happy. It’s unbelievable, a dream come true for me to get another within one year. A national award gives you a lot of motivation and it definitely has inspired me to achieve bigger glories for my country.”

The Speaker gave the best wishes to Saina Nehwal for her better future. She also said, “It is a pleasant surprise for me after becoming world number two.”

...being a human...