Runner Up - Admins Awards

Default Small movies.... big dreams

Follow us on Social Media

Even when big movies are tanking mercilessly, we take a look at some small, interesting films which might be able to hold the Bollywood fort, in the absence of big hits. All these films are scheduled to be released this year. Pritish Nandy Communication's produced 'Fatso' has already made the international festival rounds and garnered rave reviews. Ranvir Shorey plays an overweight guy with love problems. The movie also stars Gul Panag, Purab Kohli, Neil Bhoopalam, and Gunjan Bakshi. The film is directed by Rajat Kapoor. Text: Shubha Shetty-Saha

I am
    'I am', directed by Onir is an anthology of four films. One of the stories, 'I am Abhimanyu' talks about child abuse, 'I am Omar' deals with a gay man's trauma, 'I am Megha' is about what a Kashmir pandit goes through and 'I am Afia' is about the dark side of NGOs. The movie is still looking for a distributor and Onir hopes to release it in September. The movie stars Juhi Chawla, Rahul Bose, Abhimanyu Singh, Anurag Kashyap and Sanjay Suri.

Paan Singh Tomar
    'Paan Singh Tomar' is the true story of an athlete who ends up being a dacoit in Chambal. Hailing from a small village in MP, Tomar takes part in Indian national games as a runner for seven years. He quits running to take up a post in the Army and then certain situations turn him into a dreaded dacoit. Irrfan Khan plays the title role. The film is directed by Tigmanshu Dhulia.

Peepli Live
    A satirical look at farmer suicides, 'Peepli Live' is about a farmer, Natha who is about to lose his plot because of a loan. His brother comes up with an ingenious plan, Natha announces that he will commit suicide. Suddenly everyone is interested in Natha and political bigwigs, bureaucrats, and henchmen get involved in Natha's life. Produced by Aamir Khan's company, this film is a debut direction by journalist-turned-film maker Anusha Rizvi.

Tere Bin Laden
    A comedy about a young journalist from Pakistan who wants to pursue the great American dream and is unfortunately turned down everytime he applies for a visa. He hatches a devious plan when he comes across an Osama Bin Laden lookalike. The film is directed by Abhishek Sharma.

'Udaan' is a story of a teenager and his angst as his authoritarian father refuses to understand his dreams of being a writer and forces him to work in his factory. The story sketches the emotional growth that the boy has, as he struggles with his father's rigid views and his growing affection for his half-brother. 'Udaan' is debut directed by Vikram Motwane.

Ek Tho Chance
    Directed by the celebrated director Saeed Mirza, the film talks about the saga of Mumbai city and how it still attracts millions towards it. A film with multiple tracks, each track talks about the hopeful, the aspirational and sometimes desperate lives of the people. The film stars Purab Kohli, Amrita Arora, Vijay Raaz, Ashwini Kalsekar etc.
    ...being a human...