Runner Up - Admins Awards

Default Rajneeti ..some thoughts

Follow us on Social Media

From the beginning, Prakash Jha’s Rajneeti has been generating controversies. Many believed that the movie was based on the Gandhi family of India. A social worker named Naseem Khan requested the Bombay Civil court to stay the release of the movie. The court said that it would wait for the report of the Censor board. The Censor board cleared the movie.
    A script writer, named Yogendra Konkar, claimed that the script of Rajneeti is based on his own script with a similar title, “Rajniti: A Political Saga.” However, the high court even cleared Rajneeti of the accusation.
    According to Jha’s lawyer, Jha’s script was registered with Indian Motion Pictures Association in December 2008 while Konkar’s script was registered in July 2009.
    Then rumor of fight between Jha and Nana Patekar fought in the sets. Then there was the Censor Board controversy. To get U/A certificate Prakash Jha had to cut off some violent scenes and reference to homosexuality and a significant portion of the lovemaking scene between Katrina Kaif and Arjun Rampal. Finally, there was the anonymous warning letter from a Congress party worker.
    The waiting is over and Rajneeti has been finally released in theatres. So how is the movie? It is a gripping political thriller and no it has no reference to any politician and definitely not Sonia Gandhi which had been widely speculated before.
    Title: Rajneeti
    Producer: Prakash Jha
    Executive Producer / Co-Producer: Ronnie Screwvala
    Director: Prakash Jha
    Star Cast
    Nana Patekar...... Brij Gopal
    Ajay Devgan...... Sooraj Kumar
    Ranbir Kapoor...... Samar Pratap
    Katrina Kaif...... Indu Pratap
    Manoj Bajpai...... Veerendra Pratap
    Arjun Rampal...... Prithviraj Pratap
    Naseruddin Shah...... Bhaskar Sanyal
    Sarah Thompson Kane...... Sarah Jean Collins
    Barkha Bisht...... Item Number
    Nikhila Tirkha...... Samar Pratap's Mother
    Darshan Jariwala
    Chetan Pandit
    Shruti Seth
    Kiran Karmarkar
    Daya Shanker Pandey
    Shereveer Vakil
    Vinay Apte
    Rajneeti mainly takes its story from Mahabharata, the great Indian Epic. Add with it a little sprinkle from Francis Ford Coppola’s Godfather. Rajneeti is about the struggle between two cousins- Prithviraj Pratap (Arjun Rampal) and Veerendra Pratap (Manoj Bajpai). Veerendra believes that it is his birth right to become the leader of the party and he would get it at any cost. To achieve his goal, he teams up with Sooraj Kumar (Ajay Devgan), a powerful Dalit leader .
    Samar Pratap (Ranbir Kapoor) never thought of becoming a politician. He went abroad for higher education and dreamed of becoming a lecturer but fate had different plans for him. He ended up into politics and becomes one of the top players. With Brij Gopal (Nana Patekar) on his side, Samar learns the inner workings of politics and becomes a master strategist.
    Arjun’s character is related to Bhim while Samar’s is Arjun, Veerendra is Duryodhona and Brij Gopal is Lord Krishna. Like Michael Corleone, Samar takes over his father’s empire and becomes the top guy.
    The great thing about Rajneeti is that it has a tight script. In the first half, you get acquainted with the characters and the inner workings of the system. By the second half, you get a clear understanding who is what. There are no song and dance sequences. From the start, the director takes a non-nonsense approach. There are multiple layers of stories and one unfolds after the quickly.
    On the bad side, it is a long three hour movie which means you might end up having a headache. Plus, the movie demands serious attention.
    Prakash Jha did a very good job with the movie. Over the years, he made some great political movies. Rajneeti is just another feather to his crown of success.
    ...being a human...

Runner Up - Admins Awards

To be honest, I saw this movie on the recommendation of some of my adorable friends who found it an amazing flick to watch. One of my friends commented that it is a merge of politics and sensuous love; both are the subjects which would go above my head (that’s what he said)! The comments aroused my curiosity to such an extent that I decided to watch the movie the next day itself.

So, here I was in the theatre, all set with my popcorns, sitting beside one of my colleagues and biting my nails for the movie to begin! And in a moment, I didn’t even realize when we headed towards the Interval! The storyline grasped us to such an extent that we could not apprehend when we were half way through the movie. Phew! It was like a roller-coaster ride! I mean the movie defined how politics can take the worst out of an individual, thanks to Ranbir Kapoor, who depicted it through his colossal role! What a transformation…

Other characters lived up to their roles brilliantly well! I was especially flattered by the amazing performance of Arjun Rampal, an actor who never caught my attention throughout his career, but made a thorough impact through his portrayal of “Prithviraj Pratap” in RAJNEETI…

Manoj Bajpai is as usual staggering, an actor who imitates all kinds of roles with élan! And the artist is rightly supported by another veteran, Ajay Devgan, who through his cast of Sooraj Kumar (a young emerging Dalit politician), depicted the existence of honesty and loyalty in today’s corrupted world of politics! And how can I forget Nana Patekar, whose role as a manipulative politician left us as an audience to hate this character for his greed to be a part of the party in power! And for this, he can go to any extent! ANY! Last, but definitely not the least, I personally felt that Katrina’s presence has been marginally under-utilized and was overshadowed by other strong characters! She has a powerful role, but we were left with a “missing” factor…somewhere!

Ofcourse, when you have the creator in the name of Prakash Jha, little can go wrong, and this time, NOTHING WENT WRONG! Coming back to the script, the plot is too long to craft it in writing, unless you go and watch this prodigious chronicle yourself!

All in all, a spotless chuck… As audience, we could not have asked for more! My one liner would conclude this piece: “Rajneeti is truly an illusion of India’s current political scenario.” A MUST WATCH!
    ...being a human...